92 RS rearend swap, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 AM

It's just the 5.0. Nothing fancy. All stock but runs great. Gonna have to order the valve. It's not available thru local parts stores like autozone and oreilly.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

tbi or tpi? i didnt think they had the digital egr valve yet. and for fixing the speedo, you will have to find out what gears are in the rear and take it to a trans shop to have the ecm altered for the speedo to be correct

Old 07-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Pretty sure it's still a manual cable driven speedo. ****s speedo tac is the local phx expert for that. It's tbi, so I am gonna play the sensor mambo.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

90 up used an electronic speedo when they updated the dash.

also, have you tried changing the oil? i know that can help quite a bit with emissions. i didnt believe until i did it at school and could see the immediate drop in tail pipe emissions

Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

Unless it was a swapped trans from a pre VSS car, it is not cable driven.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

then the speedo wouldnt work unless someone swapped in the cable speedo, which requires replacing all the gauges. or used a signal convertor. both are rather unlikely

Old 07-20-2011, 12:24 AM

its bone stock. with excep to the rear end. i played with the egr and felt and heard it moving causing suction. gonna pull it and clean it since the diaphragm seems good. checked on a vac tester... 35 bucks when i can relace for 50. i will clean first and see! the code must be the solenoid. its 40 bucks. gonna just replace. also got the fuel pump relay to rememdy the 54 code.... the engine runs great, slight variable in idle (1 hundred, +- hardly noticeable) so i assume its not the regulator or pump. my prob is which relay... there are two identical behind brake booster by the ESC (which appears new!) i have heard that the fuel relay has 5 while the cool fan relay has four...... you know what for 8.99 and piece of mind that the fan will get a signal (being in Az... 108 today) i will replace both. it had a oil change 100 miles ago and the typical tune up. once i get this egr thing fixed the only thing left is the exhaust. RECOMMENDATIONS on a cat? Magnaflow sounds good... btw it is an orig calif car...... but NO MORE! gonna make her sound clean with a muffler when i do the cat. just found it she is gonna be my daily driver so performance is great... but with a stock 5.0 dependability is the key...... couldnt hurt sounding good tho!

Last edited by cnance; 07-20-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: left out detail
Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

not sure if this helps you at all. i cant even find the fuel pump relay on my car, but its not the typical square relay

Last edited by microkid; 07-20-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 AM

Thanks microkid but mine looks different. My stuff is there but the esc is on a bracket just behind the booster, two bolts hold the esc on the front of this bracket while those same two bolts hold two identical relays on the opposite side. My understanding is the four wire relay is the fan and the five wire is the fuel relay. At 9 bucks a relay for reliability I am gonna replace both as they are identical.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:13 AM

ok! help needed. so i have changed out relays and the egr solenoid. the idle seemed to get better but still bounces. so i go for a ride, do a little stop and go (keep in mind in Buckeye/phoenix az it was 110!). car did great. stopped for 2 hours with the car outside, in direct heat. Started it up, ran like crap. 4 miles from home so i nursed her home. eng temp was great, no noticeable smoke out the tail, but any rpms were tough and it wanted to die. got home, excessive smoke from eng compartment, "boiling sound in the cat and later discovered in the gas tank! so much pressure i was freaking out as i had a bomb on my hands! also the tail pipes got so hot they appearantly moved towards the bumper and melted cut outs in the bumper! yah no joke. my thought is the cat..... clogged, raw fuel boils in the cat, clogged cat caused excess heat all the way down to muffler, heat in muffler causes gas tank to boil, tail pipes to melt into bumper, and excess pressure (forced thru into super rich exhaust) from boiling fuel caused performance draw.... thoughts?

Quick Reply: 92 RS rearend swap, need advice