92 RS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: 92 RS question

ORIGINAL: dhighway

Wow guys, first thing stay in school! alot of typo,s. Second thing the starter is way back on the passenger side behind a heat shield, you could follow the possitive lead from the battery to the starter!! but my advise is to have someone, that has more knowledge about cars then you do? did you get an arch when you connected the battery? do you have instrument lights? headlights? any power? is the battery hooked up right? stay in school was that an auto class teacher that gave you the car? stay in school.
i blame my keyboard...

Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah that,s it Tom!! it,s the damn keyboard!!!! I" ll fix it[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 06-21-2007, 06:25 PM

Well, sorry about the typing. Normally I dont watch what I type when it comes to forums, but now I will. The teacher was a math teacher. Her son got too many tickets in it and she told him to get rid of it. So, since as of April 2006 it has not been driven. November 2007 my friend Tyler got the car, it's just now that he has the time and ambition to get this thing running.

The car, battery wise, perfect. Anything that needs 12V power runs, just the starter is dead. Like I said, I do know cars. Repaired one, no. However, we know people who do who will be there (a former Camaro owner, who's car was NOT stock). I think manual wise, he'll buy the cheaper one.

Also, as far as replacing the starter, should I buy OEM or aftermarket. Money is an issue, but if it might save him money on the road ahead, he minus well just buy aftermarket.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: dhighway

Wow guys, first thing stay in school! alot of typo,s. Second thing the starter is way back on the passenger side behind a heat shield, you could follow the possitive lead from the battery to the starter!! but my advise is to have someone, that has more knowledge about cars then you do? did you get an arch when you connected the battery? do you have instrument lights? headlights? any power? is the battery hooked up right? stay in school was that an auto class teacher that gave you the car? stay in school.
Yeah that,s it Tom!! it,s the damn keyboard!!!! I" ll fix it
You want to talk TYPO,S (as you spell it)
First its ' not , typos' (typo's is ownership) not typo,s. Thats a comma not an apostrophe.
Second we capitalize at the begining of a sentence
But I am not trying to bag on you. I am terrible at spelling and good at typos' I need to look at the keyboard to type and use two fingers! But if your going to be the spelling police there are a lot more people that need correction. (no instead of know, ne instead of any)
So stay in school and don't do drugs!

Just go to Autozone or CSK, whatever is in your hood, and get a starter. No need to get one from the dealer. Autozones Duralast has a warrenty on them. And get a book and do it yourself. Having some one else do it all you will ever learn is how to hand a shop your credit card and sign your name.
And you can't spell worth a **** so you will never write a novel. J/K

Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 PM

I deffinetly need to watch my spelling now.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

This is a rough thread. You guys are lethal. But it's all out of love of course. Like MadMike said buy the manual go to your favorite auto parts store and put it in your self. You guys will appreciate it more and doing the starter isn't all that difficult. We can try to describe to you where it is untill we're blue in face but with the manual at least it will have diagrams and pictures to help you along the way. Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. How was my spelling

Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM

85z, nice spelling

I think what we are going to do is write up a D.I.Y. just incase any other 17 year olds with 92 RS Camaros that are having the same problem can find an answer. Once again, thanks for the help. This is a very helpful, and looks like a very nice forum. We'll post pictures A.S.A.P.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

If it is the starter? and probably it is! then have someone hold the ignition key all the way over to start. Then from under the car wrap the starter with a hammer, the brushes are worn and not making good contact, it gets bad spotsin the armature! especially after sitting for awile. And Tom your right about the typing! i myself am getting better. good luck with the car, the 92rs is the anniversary edition and a definate keeper. Any pics.[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 PM

So your saying, hit the starter with a hammer? Could you explain a little more on that please?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Well are you hearing a click?. When you turn the ignition all the way over?. Anyway it's an old trick the armature inside the starter housing, gets worn! and if you wrap it with a hammer! while the key is held all the over, she will FIRE. Works 95% of the time. But you need someone to hold the key all the way to start, while you wrap it with the hammer! you dont have to hit it that hard. Good Luck, and if you want to learn about starters? pull it apart and clean it up, replace the brushes, and probably a new solenoid, and re-install it.

Quick Reply: 92 RS question