92 RS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Default 92 RS question

Hey everyone,

I'm asking on behalf of my friend here. He got a 92 Camaro RS Auto from our teacher around november(She bluntly asked us if we wanted it, he took it, becuase she was going to junk it since her son no longer drives it). It has been sitting since April 06 at our teacher's house, so thats a good year pretty much. He just got around to getting enough cash/ambition to work on it. He got a new battery just the other day (the other one was dead). The problem we have it that it doesnt start, no clicking no turing over, nothing. From what I know, it is the starter. Autozone has a free starter check up, to see whats wrong, we might pull the alternater too while were at it, but anyway. My main question is how to you remove it, let alone find the damn thing (starter). I tried looking last night, first time I actully saw the car, and i can't find it. I know it is near the trans in that location, but is it easy to remove? Can anyone lead me, us, in the right direction. He doesnt wanna tow the thing becuase of its hard to move location, I know with a good day's worth of time we can remove it. The sooner I can get an answer for him the better. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 92 RS question

Best bet is to pick up a haynes manual, mine's at home so i'll check tomorrow night when i get back if no one has cleared it up.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM
March 2008 ROTM

no clicking no nothing... do all the lights and other things work?

if so, sounds like your starter is either dead, or you have a loose connection somewhere.

The starter is on the bottom of thepassenger side. Bolts up to the back of the block. Looks like a cylinder. That is if its a 305. What engine is in it?

They arent to hard to take out, a few bolts, 2, maybe 4 hold it in. When you puteither it or a new one back in, make SURE you hook all the wires up correctly.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Overdrive Member

The V6 starters look the same and on the same side. Disconect the battery!. Follow the positive lead. It goes dierectly to the starter. Two bolts going straight up hold the starter to the block.
Do have your buddy get a manual. If you guys are new at this then your gonna need one.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:54 PM
March 2008 ROTM

yea, best bet is to get either a haynes or a chilton manual, i have them both. i pesonally like the chiltons better.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:23 PM

Wow, you guys r quick.

Battery works fine. all the lights and such work
All i know is that its a 92 RS with a V8. I think it is the 305. I'm not to familiary with domestic engine sizes too much, i'm into soda bottle size powered cars lol. If it is where it is, and we replace it...go OEM, aftermartket oem, or aftermarket? Dont want to spend too much money, we is going to need $$$$$ to insure this thing. I'll check pep boys, autozone, and maybe summit racing later for them. anything I should look for?

as far as the manual...do they both do a good job for what were doing now, and perhaps anything in the future?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Since the car is most likely stock, just go with an OEM replacement.. or replace it with the same one thats in it already, shouldn't be much more than $100 up front then take in the core for about $35 or so
Both manuals do a good job of letting you know how to remove & replace a very wide range of parts, as well as how to preform some "preventative maintenance"

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Overdrive Member

The new chilton are haynes on the inside. If it says "chilton" (no 's) on the cover and its not really thick its a haynes. If its older and says Chilton's (with the 's) its a real Chilton's and is better than the haynes. Haynes, and the haynes in a chilton cover, have **** poor wiring. It should not even be called a wiring diagram. But they are good for beginers because they have more photos is disassembly.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Haynes is ****. I speak from experience, as well as advice.

Make sure you've disconnected ALL THREE WIRES from the starter before you try to pull it out. I made the mistake of wrestling with it after only removing two. It should slip out fairly easily.

It also weighs 35000 pounds. Give or take.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow guys, first thing stay in school! alot of typo,s. Second thing the starter is way back on the passenger side behind a heat shield, you could follow the possitive lead from the battery to the starter!! but my advise is to have someone, that has more knowledge about cars then you do? did you get an arch when you connected the battery? do you have instrument lights? headlights? any power? is the battery hooked up right? stay in school was that an auto class teacher that gave you the car? stay in school.

Quick Reply: 92 RS question