'91 RS conv... drivetrain swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Default '91 RS conv... drivetrain swap?

OK, I've got a '91 RS convertible that has a 305 TBI, 4spd automatic, and a "one wheel wonder" UNlimited slip, NON-posi rear end. The one wheel thing annoys me the most, so that would be at the top of the list for things to get done . I'm not sure what I could use (ford 9"?) or where I would get one(just diff or entire rear end?) or what kind of vehicle/s to be looking at as posible donors. Reccomendations appreciated.
Next would be the motor, and possibly tranny. I'm looking for the best bang to buck ratio, and if I could keep my tranny that would certainly save me a lot of money, although since I'm doing the motor and rear end I might as well do the tranny too...? I want to stay with a small block so that I can use the same mounts etc.. something around 350+hp or so, more would be nice (400-500hp!?!) but trying to keep cost down, this is just a street car. It doesn't have to be FI or pass emissions though. Im thinking I need to go with a high performance crate motor from somewhere, with forged pistons etc., incase I ever want to do NOS or a supercharger or whatever else., but if I could get good power out of a stocker donor motor from an impalla SS or something like that, I might do that too...?
Since this is a convertible, do I need to worry about the frame being strong enough to handle over a certain amount of power? If so what is that amount?

This is all just in the dreaming /planning stage, so I'm just looking to get some advice/direction from people who know more about camaros or cars in general than I do. I've done some wrenching, but never a motor or tranny swap or anything close. I'm looking forward to it though! Thanks in advance for any advice / recommendations

Old 01-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: '91 RS conv... drivetrain swap?

You can do a complete rear end swap from any third or fourth gen Camaro or Firebird.
As for motor options when money is concerned then you have to shop and see what you can afford. Check out www.summitracing.com for parts, crate engines and prices.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:28 AM

How would I be able to tell the differance between a posi and a non-posi rear end just by looking at it if I went to go look for one in a junkyard or somewhere?

I have looked through Summit and Jegs pretty thoroughly. If I were to get a motor there, I think I would go with a ZZ4 crate motor, 350ci/385hp for around $5k, BUT I can get a used steel head LT-1 and tranny out of an Impala SS for about $1500-1800 here locally. Will an LT-1 go right in? Could I use a Caprice or Impalla rear end also?

Old 01-18-2007, 04:20 AM
Overdrive Member

The Camaro and Firbird rear ends are the only ones that will swap with out modifications.
To I.D. a Limited Slip you can either look for a tag on one of the cover bolts that identifys it as a LS or turn the wheels. If they are both off the ground and you rotate one the other should rotate in the same direction. If one is on the ground and one is up then you wont be able to turn the one that is off the ground. A LT1 will go in but if you are going to use the fuel injection with it you will also need the computer with it amoung other items.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 AM

OK cool, so I need to start calling around to local junkyards looking for an 82-97 camaro or firebird? I wonder what my chances of finding one with a useable posi rear end would be... what would be a good price to pay for one?

The Impala SS LT-1 I can get comes with "Computer/ ECM motor tranny and all accys wiring" but no radiator...Does $1500 sound like a good deal? Also, would it be worth it to try to find some factory aluminum heads to replace the steel ones for the 15hp gain from 285 to 300hp? Is there anything else different from the Camaro/Corvette LT-1's besides the heads? Like the computer or anything?

EDIT: I found a posi rear end out of a 91 IROC, 10 bolt, 2.83 gears. $75. Also I found an LS1 w/ a T56 6spd manual from a 2000 Camaro SS, about an hrs drive from me. Complete wiring harness, A/C, alternator, PS pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, injectors, throttle body, everything... what would be a good price for it? I hear the 98-00 LS1's are the ones to get? except the 01-02 intakes are better? Would I be able to use just the LS1 motor with my 700R4 tranny? Would it be worthwhile, or too much trouble, to convert my auto to stick and use the T56 6spd?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but if one were to try to get a posi from a newer camaro/bird, would you have to take the entire axlehousing, or could you just swap the gears?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Overdrive Member

$75 sounds preety good for the rear. I paid $150 but I also got disc brakes. The gears are highway gears so you'll get good mileage.
If the LS1 is a good deal I would go for it. Is it from a wrecked car? Stolen? Was it runnning good when pulled? There is one here in my area fo $2150 with a 4L60E and computer and the works, ready to stab. I would choose a ls over a lt any day.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Tacos Z

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but if one were to try to get a posi from a newer camaro/bird, would you have to take the entire axlehousing, or could you just swap the gears?
I think for the most part they are the same but you have to look at the splines on the axels. Some time during the third gens they went from I think 26 to 28 splines.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:53 AM

The $75 is JUST for the worm gear and carrier to put in my current pumpkin, 28 spline, is that too much$? $75 shipped? it would make the change out simple...

I've decided to pass on the $1500 LT1, if I go with anything besides a built 350 with my current 700R4, it will be an LS1 and 4L60E. There is an LS1/4L60E combo near me for $2500, but it's 137k miles(actual, not title) which may or may not be a problem...