87 iroc-z overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Question 87 iroc-z overheating

soo i have a pretty built 87 iroc and shes over heating real bad.. she runs happy around 210-220 degrees but i noticed something dripping down onto the exhaust on the divers side yesterday and all of a sudden, goin down the highway yesterday at about 70mph my temp shot up to like 250+ so i got off the highway and cooled her off.. but my electric fan stopped working at the same time.. could the problem be the fan? i was on the highway it shoulda been getting enough air.. idk.. any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Pressure test the cooling system first to find any leaks. Then dose it run hot in the city or highway?? Also how long have you owned this car??? After these questions, you may receive some replies.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

It MAY just be yer 24 year old radiator is just full of crap. My car did the same last season, I replaced with a plain ole Napa radiator and she runs much cooler, much more consistently now. (well, when Im not running stupid amounts of timing, have the sensor in the wron port or throwing waterpump belts from racing.....)

Old 05-12-2010, 06:39 PM

had the car for about a month, bought it for parts or restoration, i've been restoring the hell out of it, and its looking good, pretty much legitimizing hacked parts, fuel system mods, heads, carb, intake exhaust, and never really saw anything that looking like it was going to give out underneath, but when i was out in the driveway today it had a puddle under it about 6" to the passenger side from the center of the motor, and its not the lower main radiator hose, but there are 2 steel lines coming off the radiator that it may be, but i warmed it up and havent seen anything leak. its so frustrating!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Those steel lines are for your transmission cooler. Yer gonna have to crawl under her and look. From the area you describe, it may be a corroded freeze plug. (ughhhh)

Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

what does pretty built mean?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

do your fans still kick on?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM

pretty built as far as aggressive cams holley fuel system bumped up compression with pistons heavy spring gas pedal b&m shifter kit 3.73 gears posi rear end LSD, edlebrock 4bbl w. dual reserviors, edlebrock performer manifold proflo intake, 8.5mm wires, heads, hedman hedders, true dual exhaust, custom 2.5", im sure i forgot some things, but if my fan motor went bad, do you think that could be the solution to my problem, it over heats sitting too long OR on a highway (air dam is currently not installed)

Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think you have upgraded everything BUT the cooling system. You JUST identified 50% of your highway cooling problem.........you said your air dam is gone. Too many people **** around with thermostats and fans and air ducting.......but leave to old, corroded radiator in place. I know Im harping on the radiator thing, but my car was doing the same thing, my car is similarly built.....

Now about that leak????

Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 PM

my dad checked it out and did a pressure test, the radiator and cap are newer, not original lol, just replaced with oem parts, he said he didnt see anything leaking and the pressure test told him that it wasnt leaking, he told me to replace the hoses anyways because they looked tired, but he said the fan not kicking on has to be the problem, and he also said the leak i saw may be the engine building so much pressure that it is just pouring out of the over flow, which makes sense for the location of the antifreeze under the car..

Quick Reply: 87 iroc-z overheating