87 Iroc electrical problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 87 Iroc electrical problems!!!!

I was trying to figure out why I keep blowing the ACC fuses after the car is running for over 15 min when the engine is cold. I kept trying to figure out what was going on by replacing fuses and checking if hitting different switches caused it to blow the fuses faster or blow them period. I unlocked and locked the power locks several times and now they do not work. When I hit the switch I can hear the relay click over but that is the extent of what happens. Before this happened though the actuator would not unlock or lock the doors fully. What I mean is there was still a good 1/4 in of play left in the actual door lock. I'm wondering if I blew out both actuators which I think is not or if the relay is done. As for blowing fuses I found a stray wire bundle coming out from under the driver side seat belt mechanism. It is a bundle of about 4-5 wires that were all cut, I don't remember exactly how many wires but I'm at work right now and will get an actual count later along with the colors. I can't tell what the wire bundle went to but I'm thinking the power seats as the seat does not work at all. But all 4-5 wires were exposed and touching each other so I cut them all back and now no blown fuses. There is also a viper alarm system wired in under the dash but does not function, does anyone know how to take them out and rewire the car back to its stock configuration. Or know where I can find a wiring diagram for a 87 Camaro with power everything including the auto-dim rear-view mirror. I also have a complete dash out a 86 camaro but don't want to use it if I can fix this without taking the dash out of the car. Also there is a metal toggle switch under the dash by the steering column I was wondering if this is a factory installed switch and what is it's purpose or did someone install this later.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Changing the dash out is going to nothing. Think about it, why would it? Check your wire diagram to see what is run from that acc circuit. On my 87 I was blowing fuses and it ended up being the hatch return relay. Start by isolating things on that acc circuit and checking whether or not they are active, or no longer work, or are hacked up. Your metal toggle switch is not factory either.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I was just saying that I have a circuit breaker panel with wires out of a 86 camaro that is still connected to the original dash it came out of. I was thinking of just replacing my whole dash with this one but change out the gauges obviously since the alarm in my car is wired into the fuse panel but is a rat's nest/nightmare.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

I still do not see how that will change anything. You are somehow drawing more amps than that fuse will allow. The problem is not in your dash.... it is a bad relay, a short to ground, or incorrectly wired accessories due to the fact there is an alarm and aftermarket switches. I would remove anything that was not factory installed and begin checking exactly what is on that ACC circuit. If that is not addressed you could swap the entire car out and will still blow fuses....

Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If I remember right the lighter is on that fuse. Sockets and elements fail all the time. One of the most common shorts, you might want to check that.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM

The toggle switch may be to turn the coolant (radiator) fan on, a lot of guys added those because they didn't want to fix the real problem (relay or sensor). Good luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I wonder if the cooling fan has something to do with blowing fuses as the car only blows fuses after being started for a while. I am almost willing to bet if the fan is trying to come on and then pulls too much amperage thus blowing fuses. I need more free time so I can start tracing wires and check continuity/voltages/amps.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM

That maybe. Just unplug the fan. Run two jumper wires , one to the ground side of the pigtail and a known 12 volt source(battery?) to the other side. Momentarily touch the hot side, it the fan runs it is fine, if it does not the fan is shot. The key word is MOMENTARILY , otherwise you are going to have burned fingers if the fan is locked. Go to austinthirdgen.org there are more wiring diagrams there than you will ever need. Excellent site.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

Again, you need to get a wiring diagram to see exactly what items are on that circuit. Then, begin checking each item individually until you have found which item is pulling more than the amps that fuse is rated for.