85 chevy camaro with a 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 05:22 PM
Default 85 chevy camaro with a 350

Hey guys have a issue with my camaro it burnt the inline fuse that comes off the starter and connects to the two wires that powers the car, I have replaced it and now when I go to start it my radio and buzzer with the seat lights and headlights come on but when you turn the key it acts like it doesn't have enough power to start the car and then dies like it has no power no more. Where the wires meet were completely caked with oil and grease so that's my next plan, if thar doesn't work what is my next plan of action. This is how dirty the wire cap is after cleaning with 4 qtips thank you guys and appreciate the help!

Old 06-27-2024, 06:37 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the ball of grease is causing connection to happen that should not happen Yes it will cause issues. From the factory your connector would be weather sealed and dirt and grime is not a great conductor. Your starter is a very simple circuit. The power flows directly from the battery to the starter into the engine block then to the negative side of the battery. To make it simple there is a wire that powers a relay in the starter (think of a switch) it is either on or off. Your ignition switch sends power to that "switch" and it grounded into the block because it is part of the starter. That relay switch (aka Solenoid) can fail but it is just a piece of copper pushed in between connection. The chances the copper is the problem is very low. While not 100% true if you hear it trying to turn over the motor then your relay is working.

You described a text book case of a bad ground. I am not joking I would not be surprised to see this same question on a test from my school days. I can not tell you where the ground is failing also I have no idea how your wiring has been modified. Since it is not the original engine who knows. How long ago was the engine swapped?

Quick explanation of what happens with a ground failure. The ground resists the flow of power, this would be the same as putting a larger starter on your car. the more power requires failing ground to builds up heat, that heat increases the resistance which requires more power. Its a cycle at some point the functioning connection is over heated and either melts away or build carbon deposits. Now you have more resistance the next time you turn on the power cold. The cycle gets faster each time. This happens until a fuse or a inline fusible link blows. Since the issue is happening with the simple starter circuit I would want to fix that first, I would bet all the other issues go away. The ground cable itself and the connection to the battery and where it connects to engine block are all suspect. If your battery cable is old just replace it. If you clean the connection areas you have removed on variable. Technically the ground issue can be in the starter but that would not cause you other issues.

With all electrical issues there can be other issues causing problems that are causing this to happen. At that point you are into testing. If you have a volt meter look up "Voltage drop test " on Youtube and you can test your battery cables and grounds.

Old 06-29-2024, 02:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wire brush the heck outa the battery terminals and cable ends at the battery. I have had to take a knife to battery terminals to get a hard dark covering on them. you can also try watching the wires from battery to starter while someone turns the key to engage the starter. you may be able to notice a wire connection hissing or sparking or smoking indicating a poor connection. if nothing try moving battery cables while key is turned without getting hands close to any thing that would move if engine turns over that tries to start.

Old 06-30-2024, 04:10 PM
Default Gorn, awesome explanation, 3rd Gen owner, 91 RS. Vats issues.

Originally Posted by Gorn
If the ball of grease is causing connection to happen that should not happen Yes it will cause issues. From the factory your connector would be weather sealed and dirt and grime is not a great conductor. Your starter is a very simple circuit. The power flows directly from the battery to the starter into the engine block then to the negative side of the battery. To make it simple there is a wire that powers a relay in the starter (think of a switch) it is either on or off. Your ignition switch sends power to that "switch" and it grounded into the block because it is part of the starter. That relay switch (aka Solenoid) can fail but it is just a piece of copper pushed in between connection. The chances the copper is the problem is very low. While not 100% true if you hear it trying to turn over the motor then your relay is working.

You described a text book case of a bad ground. I am not joking I would not be surprised to see this same question on a test from my school days. I can not tell you where the ground is failing also I have no idea how your wiring has been modified. Since it is not the original engine who knows. How long ago was the engine swapped?

Quick explanation of what happens with a ground failure. The ground resists the flow of power, this would be the same as putting a larger starter on your car. the more power requires failing ground to builds up heat, that heat increases the resistance which requires more power. Its a cycle at some point the functioning connection is over heated and either melts away or build carbon deposits. Now you have more resistance the next time you turn on the power cold. The cycle gets faster each time. This happens until a fuse or a inline fusible link blows. Since the issue is happening with the simple starter circuit I would want to fix that first, I would bet all the other issues go away. The ground cable itself and the connection to the battery and where it connects to engine block are all suspect. If your battery cable is old just replace it. If you clean the connection areas you have removed on variable. Technically the ground issue can be in the starter but that would not cause you other issues.

With all electrical issues there can be other issues causing problems that are causing this to happen. At that point you are into testing. If you have a volt meter look up "Voltage drop test " on Youtube and you can test your battery cables and grounds.
  • ​​​​​​ Haven't been able to fix it yet, security light stays on (Vats) cuz I broke turn signals lever. Ever since then I haven't been able to start it...

Old 07-01-2024, 07:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Normal the two system are unrelated but the switch may have pulled a wire.