'82 z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Big heavy air dam under front of car,about 18inches or so back from nose

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM

UPDATE: on the slipping tranny issue.

Ok this is what the tranny does:

In the morning or when the car has been sitting for a while, when I start the car the tranny wont engage at any gear, after it warms up for about 5min it will engage all gears or after a couple of minutes of warm up i rev the motor it will engage. Then with normal driving it sometime delays in shifting. when slowing down it dosnt kick down till im almost at a total stop. BUT I can shift up and down manually and it seems to be working fine. Checked the fluid and it is fine level and good color and dosnt smell burnt.

Took it to a Tranny shop for a evaluation, went with the guy for a test drive, and it was informative: He was driving it pretty hard to see what the tranny was doing, and he said he like the way it shifts and it was kicking down when he would romp on it. He also when we got back to the shop did a test where he held the brake down and floored it to see how high the rpms would go till it would stop going any higher, well when he did that it would olny get up to 1600 or 1700 rpm and stop climbing. After all that he said that he thought that the front pump is worn out and that it would entail pulling the tranny, and if he did that he would go thru it and would cost between 1200 to 1500 bucks.
Next question for all of you, how much longer will the tranny last, or one really wont know till it goes?? Also he told me to check the tranny fluid when I get home, and remember where the fluid level is, go out the next morning and check the fluid again and see where it is: I did this when I got the car when the guy I bought it from mentioned the tranny was slipping. Well the fluid was showing up the next morning pretty far up the stick.( meaning what I'm not sure)

So I learned a few thing today, my car is totally gutless and now am not sure what to do, and I got take when I bought the car.Any pearls of wisdom or suggestion any one, kind down about this now, paid 1500 for this car, and means I will be putting more money it to it in the next couple of years.

Did find this on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1323wt_1052

Well since im looking at getting a tranny, now i have to look around on moding a 350 for scca racing.

Seal

Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by carguy68ssrs
Big heavy air dam under front of car,about 18inches or so back from nose
Yeah I found it, it there but its hanging pretty loose and there are a few different bolts the some one used to try to keep it attached, need to fix that. But since the new radiator install and installing the FLEX fan, once the temp hits about a 1/4" below the 220 line it drops pretty quick to where the needle is showing in the picture, and it stays there barely moving while doing city driving. The fan i got is supposed to be good to 10,000 rpm, lol like i'll get this engine up to that

Name:  IMG_0254.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  86.0 KB

Seal

Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM

anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Looks like its going from 220 to 195....about normal for this car. I had the exact issue and it freaked me out when Id hit 220. MY car seemed to run at 210 all the time. After much experimentation (several sensors, a new instrument cluster, new radiator and a few aftermarket gauges) I finally solved it. New radiator, aftermarket sensor installed right next to thermostat (NOT in the HEAD!! DOH!) I run 190 all day long now.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear member

That is way to much to rebuild a turbo 350. You can find a rebuilt 350 with a shift kit for $700 all day long.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by gfrench
That is way to much to rebuild a turbo 350. You can find a rebuilt 350 with a shift kit for $700 all day long.

yeah thats what I was thinking, found this on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1323wt_1052

Seal