Is 600 CFM adequate for a worked 350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Is 600 CFM adequate for a worked 350?

Ok, new question time.....looking to replace the Edelbrock with something more performance oriented.

My engine is .040 over, .460 cam, vortecs, exhaust.....

I was advised to that a 670 avenger would be perfect for this engine (a few online calculators have suggested I need 648-672 cfm) but that carb runs just shy of 400 bucks....

Now Summit has their house brand of Holley carbs, 600 cfm, for just over 200 bucks....

So I ask this? Will I be shortchanging myself with a 600 or do I need that extra 70 cfm with all the new stuff Ive put on?

Ive seen some ok prices on the 750, but thats too much gas in my opinion......

Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

you can get away with that p.o.s. you are using, but i think that was the root of your problem to begin with. you can use a 600 cfm carb, you will just need larger jets to compensate for the upgrades. you might lose some potential above 4k rpm, maybe 20 hp over using a 670 carb. but if you are going to pop for a new carb, might as well get one that matches up perfectly. 750 would be a bit of overkill, and would require a larger main jets to make up for the lower ported vacuum

Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holle...Q5fAccessories

They have it 10% off right now, only $233.95. Less expensive than the cheaper reman Holley carbs, and has a lifetime warranty.

This is the exact carb that I'm running, I even bought it from them too (re manufactured.) It ran great when I put it on, no adjustments aside from idle out of the box.

I've had a couple carbs on my engine and have dealt with many others. This is by far my favorite. I'm pretty sure I sucked in some dirt because over time it developed a hesitation. Not their fault because I was going through a fuel filter every week until I dropped the tank and cleaned it.

Probably the best thing you can do is invest in a high quality canister or inline fuel filter that filters down to at least 10 microns. It will save you some headaches in the future.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

DOH! This weeks budget is for the pushrods, next month is the intake, THEN the carb! I was looking at those exact guys on ebay but had concerns about buying a reman unit from anybody other than the manufacturer. Well, Ill mark them in my favorites list and buy it when I can!

Hey microkid, tell me what you really think about my edelbrock carb! 8*)

Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ScottD
DOH! This weeks budget is for the pushrods, next month is the intake, THEN the carb! I was looking at those exact guys on ebay but had concerns about buying a reman unit from anybody other than the manufacturer. Well, Ill mark them in my favorites list and buy it when I can!

Hey microkid, tell me what you really think about my edelbrock carb! 8*)
Well, I'm sure if you email them they will give you the 10% off price again (obviously they can afford to do it.)

I forgot to mention that they told me to send my carb back to them and they would go over it free of charge, and even rejet it to match my new cam and heads.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Oh man, Im sold. Screw grocieries, Im gonna buy it today....that lifetime warranty also helps.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:45 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ScottD
Oh man, Im sold. Screw grocieries, Im gonna buy it today....that lifetime warranty also helps.
It's okay, Beef Ramon Noodles are great. If you wanna get fancy and go out, Burger King has a great double cheeseburger for just $1

Don't feel bad about all the spending either. I'm going through the same thing. To make things worse, I tried to buy my heads off Jegs a few days ago. Apparently they don't accept E checks through Paypal (I only have a savings account.)

Of course for the new year they jacked the price of the heads from $629.99 to $695.99

Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ive got a set of nice stock steel heads if you want them! 8*p And a Edelbrok carb if you want it....I dont think Microkid is gonna buy it from me.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

ill keep my opinions and experiences to myself concerning edelbrock carbs, but their quality and consistancy isnt as great as other carb manufacturers. their other products are great, just not their carbs. and no, i wont buy it. i run fuel injection on my personal cars, no matter the age.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well dont worry, I bought the Holley tonight. Jr. Mechanic sold me on it. The more I read about this carb, the more I like. As long as my new cam, headgaskets, heads, lifters, pushrods and valve seals hold up, Ill be pushin almost 1 billion horsepower!

1 Billion EVIL horsepower...............

Quick Reply: Is 600 CFM adequate for a worked 350?