3RD gen vs 4TH gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Default 3RD gen vs 4TH gen

i am currently looking for a car..i would like to know wich car would be better. just lmk why u think either is better(pros and cons)

Old 11-14-2010, 01:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Whatever you get, get a V8. This way, you won't say, "Hm, this V6 is just not fast enough. So what can I do to increase performance?" The choice all depends on your budget. The obvious choice of these cars is the LS1 Camaro, but insurance costs on these are high. The cheapest route is 3rd gen Z28 or IROC. If you want the lowest insurance on a V8 Camaro, the 3rd gen Z28 or IROC is your best choice. Another choice that you have is the LT1 4th gen Camaro, also a good choice. So what is your budget?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 AM

its gana be my first car so like i cant have insurance high because its going to be expensive as is since im going to be a new driver so yeah a z28 or a iroc sounds good. are they like fast? i heard v6 4th gens are faster..just want to know for sure.. if u know the horse power for them..that would be nice also

Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

If I were you, I would look for a 3rd gen Z28 or an IROC with a 350 TPI engine. These are faster than the fastest 4th gen V6 Camaro, but not by much. The main advantage that these cars have over the 4th gen V6 is that these cars are far more build able with their V8's, if you desire more power. You would also have the sound of a V8 and the pride of driving a V8. In my opinion, these cars look better than any 4th gen V6 Camaro. The 4th gen V6 Camaro just looks boring. The quarter mile time for a 1992 Z28 with a 350 TPI motor are usually around mid to high 14 second range. A 2002 Camaro with a 3.8 liter V6 can do the quarter mile in the mid to high 15 second range.

Last edited by Buffalo02Z28; 11-14-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think that something like this would be good for you. These cars are inexpensive and the insurance costs shouldn't be too bad.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/2051711130.html

Old 11-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Overdrive Member

Well if you are a new driver and you already know your insurance rates are going to be high dont provoke that even more by adding 2 extra cylinders. Also young people are profiled by the police and having the IROC or Z28 badges on the car only make you stand out that much more. I own both a V6 4th gen and a LS1 4th gen cars and they both have their merits. Would I want my son or daughter driving the Z28 when they are 16... Not a chance, too much power and too much car for a beginning driver. My V6 car is a 3.8L and it can hold its own on the street. It has plenty of power, good mileage and aside from the Z28 badges missing it looks the same as my Z28 does. 3rd gen cars are cheaper, they are computer controlled even if it has a carb. Trust me when I say you want to stay away from the computer carbs, they are a pain in the tail. The V6 versions of these cars are very under powered and patheticly so. The 2.8L engine is a small version of the 3.4L both were not exactly the best engines ever put into a ponycar. I think the only worse engine was the 2.5L 4 cyl. You really need to stop and think about what you are going to want out of a car. While a V8 is the more saught after in any generation they are more expensive to drive, own and maintain. The V6 while it does not have the same status does have advantages in being cheaper to get into, maintain and drive. I love my V6 4th Gen, she is not a race car but a smooth running cruiser. Sunny summer days with the tops off is fun in either car, trust me on this one!!

Massey

Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am confussed, how does a LS1 camaro "Look better" then a V6 of the same year? Is there any differents except the badges? The L98 (350) Z28 Camaro have around 230 HP and run mid 14 seconds stock. They are not as common as you may think and one in good condition will still cost a fair price. A 3.8 v6 4th gen will run about even with a 305 Z28 depending on the gearing in the V6.

3rd Gen. Pros
Price: You can find a 305 Z28 at a decent price in decent condition.
Easy to work on: You have easy access to the engine
Weight: The 3rd gen is the lighest camaro built. This is why you see them in Autocross.
Style: The 3rd gen was a very popular car in its time.

3rd Gen Cons
The 350 is a good motor but 305 are a little weak in the lower end.
Age: A unrestore 20 year old car can be less then reliable.
T-top can leak like crazy. Even when new some of these cars had issues.

4th Gen. Pros
Cornering: The extra weight the 4 gen carries hurts it a little but the 4th gen has basicly a racing type front suspension. The coil over shocks, control arm type suspension with rack and pinion steering is truly the next generation above the 3rd gen. Also the body is more ridged. (you would understand that if you ever push your car real hard)
aerodynamics: they really do cut through the air.

4th Gen. Cons
Style: the 4th gen camaro lost the pony car war for the Camaro. Most people do not like the way they look and yes that includes the LS1. The fish bowl like feel of a t-top car turns a lot of people off.
Weight: They are hvy
Hard to work on: The motor is tuff to access.

I have owned (2) 3rd gens and as a GM tech in the 80's I have worked on 100's of them. I own (2) 4th Gens. I was in the market for a nice 90-92 Aero couple 350 but at 5K for a nice one the 4 gens just seemed like a better deal.

The 4th gen 3.8/5 speed (96 up) is a fun car to drive and it is concided by many mechanics to be one of GMs best drive lines from a durabilty stand point and it is capible of hitting 30+ MPG on the highway and getting to 200K is fairly common..

Last edited by Gorn; 11-14-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Mattrow, if you couldn't tell by the responses given to you here so far by 3 different members, some people are a little more educated on the topic and more experienced with giving information in general, so some can give you more true, unbiased information than others can.

With that said:

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
In my opinion, these cars look better than any 4th gen V6 Camaro. The 4th gen V6 Camaro just looks boring.
The 4th gen v6 looks just like the 4th gen v8. Except for the badges and the exhaust, you won't notice a difference. Don't let some scrubs confuse you. The car Buffalo owns, looks no different stock than a black v6 4th gen does stock, except for the badges and exhaust tips you'll see sticking out, which you could do to your v6 fairly cheaply.
The "pride" you will gain from the v8 will be no different than the pride you get out of owning a 4 cylinder car unless you don't have much else going for you in life. In that case, it will be existent in your head, but everyone around you will wonder what you're so proud about.
You can have fun with either car. Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Haha, I state my opinion once again and all the sixer owners come out to play. I didn't give any wrong information to the guy. Yeah I'm biased, but aren't we all? My preference is a V8, but I am not bashing sixers. The sixer 4th gens are pretty boring looking. The Z28 got tailpipes, badges and cast aluminum wheels. Just the Z28 badges make the car a whole lot better looking in my opinion. Horsepower ratings for a 1992 Z28 with a 350 TPI is 245 horsepower and 345 lb-ft of torque. The 2002 Camaro with a V6 makes 200 horsepwer and just 225 lb-ft of torque. Its whatever you want and can afford Mattrow, this is just my opinion.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The 87-92 L98 350 is a nice car but like I said in nice condition they bring a lot of money. If you are looking into a LS1 you should look at the SS model the base model LS1 looks just like a V6 and I have heard those look boring.

LOL really Z28 badges make the car look non-boring? The rims are the same for the v6 and V8. Exhause is a easy change. I guess I am getting old cause if the car is in motion or I am more then 10 feet away I can not read weather the badge says Z28 or RS LOL.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-14-2010 at 11:05 AM.