3rd Gen - Audio Inquries

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Default 3rd Gen - Audio Inquries

I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in 88 Camaro.I have a Jensen UV10 (came with the car, not sure if it's worth keeping or not) and the sound is a tad better but I'm sure changing the speakers out would make all the difference. What brand do some of you use? I have PUNCH speakers in another car. The audio is great in there. Not sure if putting the same type of speakers in the Camaro will make that notable difference. What stumps me is that the car has two Tweeters in the front dash, and two speakers in the back seats. Where the hell is the bass? I'm guessing I need to put in a subwoofer for that? If someone can just give me a run down on the audio, in this car, brands, subwoofers and any other useful info I might need I should be set.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Highs or subs?

I have started running kicker highs in everything.
The price is great, the sound is great and they hold up.
They sound better then Alpine type R's and cost less.

Heard nothing but great things about them.

For subs, Fosgate,Kicker,JL or if you want to compete Diamonds .

Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Sorry for my ignorance but I don't understand the question. What are high's?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Highs refers to higher frequencies, which are produced by the smaller speakers. This is in contrast to bass, which is low frequencies, which are produced by larger bass speakers. Generally there are three speaker types -
Subwoofers (subs) for low frequencies (think bass drum sounds)
mid range speakers (like vocals, guitar)
Tweeters (for very high frequencies, like high hats and static)

Often small tweeters come integrated with mid range speakers. If you're not looking for perfect audio, you should be ok with a good set of midrange speakers.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 AM

I appreciate the clarification! Now the part that I'm puzzled on is there are only four speakers (from what I know of) in the 3rd Gen. (Two tweeters on the dashboard and two larger speakers in the back). So which type of speakers would I go for (I want the best sound possible). Two tweeters in the front dash and two Subs in the back seats? I noticed the two subs in the back are "hidden" behind the fabric of the B pillars. Just to make sure, these are the only four speakers in the car, correct?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

The speakers in the pillar are not subs. Those are the mid-range speakers I described. Subs are large (generally 10''-18'' in diameter). You should get decent sound if you replace the four speakers you described with good quality ones. If you're doing this by hand, make sure you place some kind of buffer between the speakers and the metal in the B-pillars, otherwise you'll get really annoying rattling. Foam or rubber should work well.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear member

When I say high's I meant mid range. When you said sub I thought you had a full stereo system not stock set up. Just get 4 good mid range speakers like the new kickers I was referring to.

I don't know of the top of my head what size the stock speakers are.
If no one answers you can call car toys or best buy, they can look up the size for you.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Okay, just an update. I threw two JL's in the back (Sub/high/mid combo) and two Kenwood's in the front. The front calls for 4" x 6" which I've heard is somewhat uncommon these days. The backs are 6" X 9". The sound is much better. The only thing I have left to do is work out the settings (my deck has the settings for each speaker (Hz, Q, etc.) and I don't know much about them. I played around with it so far and came up with pretty good results, and now next time I use the car I'll play around with it alittle more. Off to bed for me.