350 swap project

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Crap, those heads are boat anchors if you're after building a performance engine. Too bad, looking at the chamber design of yours got me thinking maybe someone upgraded the engine with Vortec heads (Vortecs weren't until the mid 90's). Those have a 76 cc chamber, 1.94" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves.
Basically, those are the "swirl" design heads. They have a high ramp in the intake runners that causes a swirl in the incoming air/fuel mix. The design was for better gas mileage and low end torque. Perfect for trucks, but were used in cars too. They are too restrictive for making an engine that wants to perform beyond 4000~4500 rpm. And, the ramp can't be ground down, it's too much of a restriction. I would keep an eye out for a better set of heads.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

are there heads i can find from the junk yard that will work for me. as in what cars or trucks were the good heads on.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:35 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Camaro 69, I'm disappointed in you! Those look nothing like Vortecs, not to mention the intake bolt configuration and exhaust heat crossover are a dead give away (and the stock TBI intake, but that goes along with the intake bolt pattern.)

Need to get your eyes check old man

Looks like you've got a high mileage engine there. You'll probably want to over bore it a little, depending on the condition of the cylinder walls and what they mic out at. I'd have it checked for cracks and probably decked as well. Definitely get a different set of heads, you'll be hard pressed to meet your goal with those swirl ports. Vortecs are the way to go on a budget. Some HO 305 heads are a good option too.

A little work and you'll have a good engine there. Don't let anyone tell you differently just because it's a little dirty. Here's how mine looked when I started out, check my sig for a recent picture.

Name:  Sat-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  82.3 KB

Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For non-Vortec heads, you'd want to look for some pre-smog era heads, around 1970 and older. Probably gonna be hard to find them at a boneyard though. But if you're not trying to reuse a specific intake manifold (a gen 1 intake won't work on Vortec heads), then see if you can find some Vortecs. They came out around the 1996 model year, and are one of the best factory iron heads you could use. Also look around on craigslist or flebay. You might even find someone selling some decent used aftermarket heads.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Camaro 69, I'm disappointed in you! Those look nothing like Vortecs, not to mention the intake bolt configuration and exhaust heat crossover are a dead give away (and the stock TBI intake, but that goes along with the intake bolt pattern.) Need to get your eyes check old man
Heh, heh..wiseass! I was focusing more on the spark plug hole area and the chamber shape around the valves. I won't argue about the eyes though, they aren't like they used to was.....young punk!

Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Heh, heh..wiseass! I was focusing more on the spark plug hole area and the chamber shape around the valves. I won't argue about the eyes though, they aren't like they used to was.....young punk!
Hey, for every wise old man there's always one wiseass young punk

Old 05-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Hey, for every wise old man there's always one wiseass young punk
Hey, how do you think I started out? But I still hung on to the wiseass part too.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Head on the left is a conventional old style head. Vortec is on the right. The area around the plug hole is what I was looking too closely at, made for some wishful thinking. Looking at the rest of it, you can see the heart shape of the combustion chamber. Way different from the old heads, and the swirl heads...

Name:  RegularHead-VortecHead.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  32.1 KB

Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well im thinking about using the edelbrock intake and carb that are on my 305 HO currently as a money saver until i save up for what i would want.

i will also reuse the headers as well until i can get some shorty headers.

i may have a guy to get 327 single hump heads what would those do for my car.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by endo
well im thinking about using the edelbrock intake and carb that are on my 305 HO currently as a money saver until i save up for what i would want.
i will also reuse the headers as well until i can get some shorty headers.
i may have a guy to get 327 single hump heads what would those do for my car.
Yeah, I don't blame you, since you already have some stuff. Head designs (on good performance heads) have come a long way since the 60's. But those are still a hell of a lot better than the paper weights you have now, and they're not smog heads either. Get the numbers off of those so you know what you're playing with. Putting an engine together is more than just slapping parts on. If you're consulting an engine builder, they'll know (or should).

Quick Reply: 350 swap project