305 ?s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Also the the webing leading to the mains is lighter. GM made everything light as possible for better gas milage. As a GM tech in the 80s I put a lot of crank kits in 305 with stock motors while under warranty(less then 36K miles). I can not remember putting a single crank kit in a Vett or a Iroc 350. The result was mostly streched rods or rod bolts. When I asked about it at GM training the teacher said the lack of ridgity was allowing things to flex and move around under pressure. I can only imagine as you increase torque from stock it gets worse.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-05-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackz87
Casting dimensions for 305 block internals are thinner then 350. Major reason you cannot bore out a 305 block.
Ahhh, I didn't know. I am thinking water jackets.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

a305 gets no respect here,i dont know if its because most if not all posters are quite a bit younger than me, but no matter.once there was the 283 small block and boy what a runner she was!! and no not too much had to be done to get around 350 HP my point is its not how many cubic inches you have ,,its what you do with those cubes that makes all the diffrence.as in:a 69 z-28 had the 302 making more than 400 HP .so the 350 crowd must not have ever had their asses handed to them racing a much smaller engine.i dont get it being this IS a camaro forum and all

Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

There is strong chance I may be younger than you, but as you stated its not all about Cubic Inches. The 283 and 289 in ford were and still are excellent small block motors that took nothing to get more than 1 HP/CI. The difference is that todays 305's (read 72-92) had horrible compression, horrible flowing heads with awful combustion chambers. Why? Emissions! Ca started emission equipment as early as 67...so go back and compare era vs. era. It really wasn't until the LS1....ok even LT1 that chevy found a balance between power and emissions. For the other posters on here more in the know, they tell you exactly why you can't make a 305 into half of what a 283 was and make it last.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djs383
There is strong chance I may be younger than you, but as you stated its not all about Cubic Inches. The 283 and 289 in ford were and still are excellent small block motors that took nothing to get more than 1 HP/CI. The difference is that todays 305's (read 72-92) had horrible compression, horrible flowing heads with awful combustion chambers. Why? Emissions! Ca started emission equipment as early as 67...so go back and compare era vs. era. It really wasn't until the LS1....ok even LT1 that chevy found a balance between power and emissions. For the other posters on here more in the know, they tell you exactly why you can't make a 305 into half of what a 283 was and make it last.
I think the older small blocks were oversquare, vs the 305. Correct me if I'm wrong. The heads could be modified, or replaced to make them flow better.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rusty vango
a305 gets no respect here,i dont know if its because most if not all posters are quite a bit younger than me, but no matter.once there was the 283 small block and boy what a runner she was!! and no not too much had to be done to get around 350 HP my point is its not how many cubic inches you have ,,its what you do with those cubes that makes all the diffrence.as in:a 69 z-28 had the 302 making more than 400 HP .so the 350 crowd must not have ever had their asses handed to them racing a much smaller engine.i dont get it being this IS a camaro forum and all

ahh

the good ole days of trying to get a 283 to be street friendly and produce over 300HP and get good economy

What are we thinking with 400+ HP street friendly small blocks getting in the 20's mpg on the highway?

I lived the "glory days"

It was never EASY to get performance. We've learned so much over the years and if I'm going to build a SBC, and want to use parts I have hanging around, then I'll start with the biggest SBC I can get. If I have to replace the heads and cam and get the block machined...........plz note that I said I had to replace heads and cam because you must with the 305's, then I'll drop a couple hundred more and go get a 350 block and have that machined and get more power.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
ahh

the good ole days of trying to get a 283 to be street friendly and produce over 300HP and get good economy

What are we thinking with 400+ HP street friendly small blocks getting in the 20's mpg on the highway?

I lived the "glory days"

It was never EASY to get performance. We've learned so much over the years and if I'm going to build a SBC, and want to use parts I have hanging around, then I'll start with the biggest SBC I can get. If I have to replace the heads and cam and get the block machined...........plz note that I said I had to replace heads and cam because you must with the 305's, then I'll drop a couple hundred more and go get a 350 block and have that machined and get more power.
As much as my 305's have been loyal to me, there is no logical reason not to go with a 350.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

+1^^^ I like the 305..and I'm going to keep it as a classic. clean it up under the hood. pretty Chrome this..Chrome that. completely restore it take it to some car shows etc. now when I get my hands on a 350. rebuild it, performance parts and now we got something to talk about...lol

Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

stevo I love the pic BTW. that thing is secs

Old 11-20-2011, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slick's camaro
stevo I love the pic BTW. that thing is secs
Thank you man!