305 problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 305 problem.

so i just finished putting the new eddy intake on my 305. its always had trouble running smooth because of carb problems, but now i have the new intake on, and im trying to start it, but the first time i turned the key, it sounded like there was water in the exaust pipes or something. Second time i turned the key the carb caught fire, and now im kinda scared to keep it running because it shooots out alot of gas from 2 little holes on the top of the carb.

so im trying to figure out what my next step should be. Just continue trying to start it and the gas will go away that was spitting out? or what?

carb is a AFB carter 4 barrel .

thanks to any1 who has any tips.

p.s. i hop bobarian or camaro 69 resonds because u guys give awesome advice

Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sure sounds like your timing is off whack. Are you sure you dropped the distributor in pointing the same way it came out? To double check, the rotor should be pointing to #1 plug wire on the cap with #1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke. And did you remove the wires from the cap when you swapped the intake too? If you did, make sure you have them in the proper rotation on the cap.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Well the dist was droped in the same way, but i had to put a screw drive down the shaft to make it go in the same way that my marker i had on the dist. lined up.

Yeah i took the wires off and put them on the same way i took them off. i think my timing is off too. But what do i do, cuz idont wana nother fire to start lol.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should be a timing mark on the balancer at the front of the crankshaft to line up with the 0 degree mark on timing bracket that is mounted to the block by the balancer. if u line these up u should be at top dead center or 180 degees off. the fuel coming out of the carb vents is most likely a stuck float valve. wack the carb with the plastic end of a big screwdriver a couple times and see if that knocks it lose. rebuild the carb or a new one would probly be a good idea.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You can try rotating the distributor a little bit in one direction and then see if it starts better. If it's worse, then rotate it in the opposite direction. If you have a helper, they can rotate it while you're cranking.
And I know it's a dumb question, but did you double check your wires on the cap against the firing order? Starting with #1 and going around the cap clockwise. It can be easy to screw up a wire placement, I've seen it been done before.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear member

LOL, ok so the fuel squirting up crazy was due to the fact my canister hose was conected to the fuel part on the carb and the fuel line was conected to the canister hose, and yeah, now im just going to get new hose then i will start from there.

the only reason i put the wrong hoses on the wrong spots was cuz the fuel line hose was too short to go to its spot on the carb, so i assumed it connected to the other spot.(cuz the new intake is taller so the hose couldent reach

Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Default need help

i have a 1980 rs with a 305...and the 2barrel on it is oddley shaped...its shaped like a capital D...and wanted to put a new air cleaner on it because the stock one looks like crap with the snorkel...? any ideas?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 AM
2nd Gear member

try making your own thread. this thread is sooo old and it might confuse people

Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 PM
BackseatBob

lol yeah. Did you get the timing adjusted properly? how's your car comin c4?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by bobarian91
lol yeah. Did you get the timing adjusted properly? how's your car comin c4?
its going good. I still dont have wheels for it... i cant find any anywhere for 1000 bucks(wheels and tires). i really regret selling my old wheels, i thought i would be easy to find new ones .. but no..

as far as the engine, i still need to adjust the carb a bit, i have the timing set perfect right now, but i set it as the car was ideling a bit weird. So once i adjust the carb better i will adjust the timing a bit.

So are you looking for a new camaro or are you gunna stick with the trucks

Quick Reply: 305 problem.