Is 282 duration too much on a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Is 282 duration too much on a street car?

Im looking at summit Cam k1104. Duration is advertised at 282......will that effect my power brakes and will the idle be too choppy? The lift (465) will work with the vortec heads, but Im wondering if I want a wee bit less duration.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

its rather borderline for street driveability. now is it a roller cam or flat tappet? also, i suggest a different brand for a cam. i used a summit cam in a dyno mule and it wore off 3 lobes after a 20 minute break in and 6 dyno pulls. it was a brand new cam, straight from the box. i dont remember the specs, but it was somewhere around .480 lift and 270 something duration. when it comes to engine parts and just about anything, you pay for what you get

ok, i looked up that cam. the advertised duration is much different than duration at .050" that cam will be rather quiet idle, though it will be a bit lumpier than stock. it shouldnt affect the power brakes much, if at all. now you said you are limited to .470" lift, right? im going to include a link to a cam we used on our dyno mules at school, they have never had any issues with them, and typcicly produced 300 rwhp with a stock bottom end 350 (8.9 CR), iron aftermarket heads (dart iron eagle 2.02/1.60), dual plane aluminum intake, open header, and a 600 holley carb. with a 50 shot of go-go juice added, they usually bumped up to about 340 rwhp, and were going through a powerglide and ford 9"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-211-2/

Last edited by microkid; 12-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

JFC!!! Can I go over budget ANY more! First I gotta buy a Holley Carb, now you wanna upsell me on a cam? Do you work for some evil summit profit sharing scheme??? Im seriously just thinking about buttoning her up, buying the carb and just sitting on the heads until I hit the lottery and can afford all this.

Seriously, thanks for all the help. I probably should have done a bit more research before I tore it down. I guess now I decide if its worth swapping the heads, spending another 750 bucks (intake, cam, carb) for another 40 horse or just replacing the carb sor about 350 and fixing my out of the hole performance.....decisions decisions....

So the summit cam was that bad? Ive NEVER heard of a problem with summit stuff. You say you had a 20 minute break in and then hit the dyno? Isnt that a bit short of break in procedures? I only ask because Im really a fan of summit stuff, most of it seems to be brand stuff that was just specially run with their name. (Look at the summit carbs....they are Holley clones) Anybody else ever had a problem with summit cams?

And again Micro, thanks for all the help on these last few issues.

Last edited by ScottD; 12-07-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 AM
2nd Gear member

i would be tempted, just in the case of staying on budget, to put the vortecs on and button up the engine with the holly. or even maybe hold off on buying the holly and stick with buttoning the engine up with the edlebrock and do some research and save up money, get ALL of the engine parts that you want to putt in/ add onto your engine possibly think about buying them little at a time maybe like a weekly gift to yourself and then once you have it all put your engine together and then you will be much much happier with your finished project and in the long run probably save some money because you will have picked everything out to your needs and wants instead of flying by the seat of your pants.

just my .02

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, I wouldn't rush it Scott. I'm doing the same thing you are right now, but I'm making it a winter/spring long project, and it very well may go into the summer too. I'm taking my time and buying everything that I know I want in the engine. The first time I didn't do this, and look where I am now.

A carb you could always bolt on on later. A cam is quite a bit more labor intensive however.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well Ive decided against a new torque converter.

I want a new Holley.....

I can afford a decent cam and an intake...OR.....an intake and a Holley........

Looks like I need to save a few more bucks and get all three.

I just hate looking at my car sitting in the garage, half gutted. Shes a driver, not a garage queen. Cant do any driving in the dead of winter, but I fear gettin stalled and never picking back up again!

Anybody wanna buy a kidney?????

Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ScottD
Well Ive decided against a new torque converter.

I want a new Holley.....

I can afford a decent cam and an intake...OR.....an intake and a Holley........

Looks like I need to save a few more bucks and get all three.

I just hate looking at my car sitting in the garage, half gutted. Shes a driver, not a garage queen. Cant do any driving in the dead of winter, but I fear gettin stalled and never picking back up again!

Anybody wanna buy a kidney?????

Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It's a shame, a Street Avenger 670 just sold for $125 on TGO. I know I said buy new, but this one appeared to be untouched.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ive seen PLENTY of gently used and refurbed Holleys on ebay. Some real good deals. Im a cheap sunnufabeyotch, but this is one thing I wont scrimp on. Ill buy used motor oil before I buy a used carb. One guy was advertising his as new, but you could see the dust all over it. I emailed him, he said it was new, out of the box. Then he emailed me again and said it had been installed and never run, about 2 years ago......hmmm......too many variables there..

Ill buy a factory refurb if its coming from a MAJOR refurb company, but most of the guys on ebay seem to rebuilding them at home in their garage. Im gonna see if Holley offers rebuilds before I shell out the big bucks just yet........

Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

you could always look into a top end kit. cam, manifold, carb, heads. sell of what you dont need. its a possibility

Quick Reply: Is 282 duration too much on a street car?