1991 Camaro RS V6 Unibody help needed.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Unhappy 1991 Camaro RS V6 Unibody help needed.......

hey guys... i love my 91 camaro 3rd gen just like the rest of you guys... right b4 winter the car needed floors badly and i planned on doing them this spring........ saddly right b4 i parked the car for the year and tarped it.... the tranny ripped itself from the unibody on the drivers side of the car...... their is now no metal 2 bolt the trannymount bracket 2.... my ? is since i havent done the floors yet...... does the mount come on the floor pans or is that totally a different peice of metal unibody wise..... if so does anyone know where 2 get a replacement...? basically the tranny bracket is fine. tranny is fine... just the piece of unibody that you mount the tranny bracket 2 is GONE....... i wont be able 2 get pictures until spring... currently have the entire tranny out of the car 2 do the floors and whatever needs 2 be done 2 be able 2 bolt the trannybracket back up any insight or help would be greatly appreciated........ im sure im not the only person this has happened 2....

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

moved your thread to the 3rd gen general section for ya. should get some options from the guys here.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM

no no no im talking about the actual frame part that the tranny cross-member bolts 2.... the car has a automatic in it. each side of the car passenger and drivers side has these 2 rails that are under the floor pans.... idk if they are part of the floor pans or if they are totally separate from the floor pans..... on both sides of the car under the doors they have a rail... that the tranny crossmember mounts 2.... the metal where my tranny mount goes on the driver side currently is no longer metal its rusted completely off... GONE!,.... ive been all over google looking but apparently they have a certain name... because so far i haven't been able 2 find them.. idk if they are frame rails or not..... but thats what i would call them.. but ricks camaro dont have them listed i dont think.... let me try and find a picture..... online

Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM

http://www.users.qwest.net/~nscamaro...iverfloor2.JPG see right where the tranny mount bolts 2 the unibody or floor pan or w.e.......... thats where mine broke..... idk what that part is or where i can get it ive been looking since it happened and still haven't found anything,.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

that piece that the crossmember bolts too looks like its made with the floor cause theres no spot welds to remove it. Since you have to get floors anyway just see if it comes with it. the bracket part behind it does weld on and I dunno if that would have to be swapped over.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it is the subframe.

Attached Thumbnails 1991 Camaro RS V6 Unibody help needed.......-hrdp_0706_09_z-frames-art_morrison_subframe.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's your front subframe section, and isn't going to be part of a replacement floor pan which mounts above that. It's an integral part of the body, not at all like the subframe in my car. I know of no aftermarket pieces available, so you're going to need to find someone who is scrapping their (solid) car, or get it from a boneyard if you can find one that has a 3rd gen.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 AM
4th Gear Member

IMO, if the rest of the vehicle is in great shape (powertrain/interior) then the least expensive path is to find a decent roller from the south and transport it to you and transfer over your good stuff. The overall cost will be less than what you are going to get yourself into because I bet the cancer has spread more than you think, or hope.

If the rest of the car is in similar shape to your undercarriage/floor and you don't have $thousands hanging around to blow on it, then it's time to say goodbye.

When I was a young lad many of us drove around in what we would now call "death traps". The vehicles were compromised enough that we should have never taken passengers with us never mind ourselves. Again, the term I use is "compromised".

If you are a young un, and riding your folks insurance because it's cheaper, then you owe it to your folks to make the car right-as-rain or get rid of it. All it takes is one accident and one lawyer to discover that your car was compromised and say buh bye to mommy and daddy's life savings, 401Ks, future earnings and depending on the state, a lien on their home.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Another important, yet vulnerable rust spot, is the pivot point where the rear trailing arms attach to the frame. I've seen them so bad to where the front of the arm is just floating in mid air. If your frame is that far gone, and you don't have the ways or means to fix it yourself, then the smart thing would be to put the car out of its misery. You're going to spend waaaaay more than the car is worth to pay for the frame fix.

Quick Reply: 1991 Camaro RS V6 Unibody help needed.......