1989 Rs heater Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Default 1989 Rs heater Problems

For some reason even thoughthe blower is working on the carno heat actually comes from the vents. I would like to help get the problem fixed asap esp sincemy friend who owns the car isin NJso heatright now would be nice. I know that the radiator fanis hardwired to alwaysbe on when then car is running could that be causing no heat? or should it still be getting heat with its hardwired? Thanks for any info in advance

Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: 1989 Rs heater Problems

are you talking about the fans being hardwired? its impossible to hardwire a radiator.. lol

check the two hoses that go back to the core. make sure they are both hot. if only one is hot, there is a clog in the core. if none are hot then the valve isnt opening allowing water to flow back there. Do you know if a stop leak was added to the system at all?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1) If the thermostat is bad and stuck open, it will take forever for the engine to heat up, and even longer for you to get inside heat.
2) The radiator fan should not be hot-wired to run all the time, at least not in the winter time. The fan is cooling off an already cold engine and radiator, making matters worse.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

maro69 is right, thats what was wrong with my heater, there wasnt even a thermo in it, so the engine wouldnt get past like 70deg.....it sucked...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 350rs

are you talking about the fans being hardwired? its impossible to hardwire a radiator.. lol

check the two hoses that go back to the core. make sure they are both hot. if only one is hot, there is a clog in the core. if none are hot then the valve isnt opening allowing water to flow back there. Do you know if a stop leak was added to the system at all?

hahah yea typo meant the fan... Both the hoses are cold and when I disconnected the one it was dry

Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

1) If the thermostat is bad and stuck open, it will take forever for the engine to heat up, and even longer for you to get inside heat.
2) The radiator fan should not be hot-wired to run all the time, at least not in the winter time. The fan is cooling off an already cold engine and radiator, making matters worse.

The Thermostat is good brand new so I dont think it has to do with the problem.. And I know the radiator fan shouldnt be hardwired but it was that way when the car was purchased

Oh and I have to say badass ride.. I Love 69 camaros they are probably my favorite car of all time and yours is very nice

Old 01-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: SimplexDesign
hahah yea typo meant the fan... Both the hoses are cold and when I disconnected the one it was dry
I think you're way low on coolant. Is the radiator full? It doesn't matter which hose you disconnect, it shouldn't be dry. Which one did you disconnect?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 PM
March 2008 ROTM

if however your coolant levels are good. sound like that valve is siezed shut. but even if it were siezed it should have SOMETHING in it..

Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

ORIGINAL: SimplexDesign
I think you're way low on coolant. Is the radiator full? It doesn't matter which hose you disconnect, it shouldn't be dry. Which one did you disconnect?

Radiator is full and there was a drop and I meana littledrop in the top line going in

Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: 350rs

if however your coolant levels are good. sound like that valve is siezed shut. but even if it were siezed it should have SOMETHING in it..

This sounds like it could be the problem

Quick Reply: 1989 Rs heater Problems