1988 Chevy Camaro 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Default 1988 Chevy Camaro 2.8

Ok I just replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter, and I put fresh gas in it. I got the car running but its acting really funny.

It will idle but if I give any gas it bogs and acts like its gonna die/choke. Also the RPM gauage is showing the car idling at 5k which is wrong because the car sounds like a good low idle and its not reving.

Other then that while the car is running there is a loud beep. same beep as if u leave the key in the ignition or door open..

Any ideas?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Make sure you got the correct fuel pump. If you accidentally put in a pump for the 305 TBI, it won't be pumping high enough pressure to squirt your injectors. The pumps are rated differently depending on the application.
The tachometers on these third gen cars tend to lie a lot. Mine used to read double.
For the beep, play with the door jamb switch when the door is open and see if you can get it to stop. You could have a bad switch, or a shorted wire.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Make sure you got the correct fuel pump. If you accidentally put in a pump for the 305 TBI, it won't be pumping high enough pressure to squirt your injectors. The pumps are rated differently depending on the application.
The tachometers on these third gen cars tend to lie a lot. Mine used to read double.
For the beep, play with the door jamb switch when the door is open and see if you can get it to stop. You could have a bad switch, or a shorted wire.

Fixed the beep. It was the seatbelt beep. Double checked fuel pump it is the correct one.

Havnt changed plugs yet will do this weekend. Today the car started and for the first 2 minutes acted fine. The throttle responded fine. After a couple of minutes it went back to boging down and choking when I touch the throttle.

Any ideas? TPS maybe? If so how do I test.

Thank u

Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Same **** with me.. just got a 1988 V6 2.8 camaro as my 1st car too

I turn on the engine, Just abit of small smoke comes out with a loud screech.. and what that guy said ^ the meters DO lie on these 3rd gen cars.. it saids i have 589,000 miles on the car lol. They reset at 100,000 miles to 1.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Its beginning to sound to me like this is a common problem when the v6 cars sit. Mine (88 2.8 v6 with a/t) sat for 5 years or so and this is the same problem I am having. I have replaced the fuel tank, pump, sending unit, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, MAF sensor, thermostat battery and timing chain and gears. Still searching for an answer, if I find out what is wrong with mine I will post it to see if it will help anyone else.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM

I just replaced the plugs yesterday and no diffrence. So I addjusted the TPS and the car started acting normal... so I closed the hood and after about 5 minutes the car started acting bad again..

So I adjusted the TPS again and it was fine.. Then of course after a few minutes right back to crap..

So would that be a clue that its a bad TPS?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 PM

Ok... So I replaced the TPS. Still no luck. Acting the same. So I was checking other things out and i happen to remove the Air intake the thing that has the MAF plugged into it.

Anyway when I would wiggle that the car would idle down and it responded to the throttle alot better. Then i'd wiggle it again and the idle would SHOOT up. I did this a few times and each time it made the car run ok.

So does it sound like a bad MAF? When I start the car it will be revin high and it will not respond to the throttle its like its just stops and sputters.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM

I am really lost... Next time i work on it I am gonna get some video of the way its acting. Maybe that will help figure it out.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

check along the fuel rail at the engine. my brother's 2.8 powered s10 had a little fuel filter hidden behind the fuel pump. his was clogged, so it had almost no power, but would get about 35 mpg. if its in the same place on the camaro, its almost impossible to get to and would probably be worth bypassing entirely

Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Try cleaning the fuel injectors....Also, when you replaced the fuel pump did you check the tank out. I have replaced sending unit, pump, filters and all even injecters before I actually looked in the fuel tank and saw my problem "RUST"!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1988 Chevy Camaro 2.8