1987 iroc won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Angry 1987 iroc won't idle

87 iroc 305 TPI, been sitting for about 3 years. The last couple years I would take it out for a short drive, it would run OK then bog down like it was running out of gas, then continue on OK although it didn't have much for power.
This year whenever I start it, it dies. It won't idle, if i keep pumping the gas until it warms up, it will idle. If it give it too much gas it will bog down.

I've replaced fuel filter, 3 rotten vaccuum hoses, throttle position sensor, idle air control valve, cap and rotor, battery, air intake gasket.

Before replacing cap + rotor, battery and air intake gasket I took it in and had it diagnosed. They said air intake gasket is leaking, mas airflow sensor, O2 sensor, cadillitic convertor clogged, and fuel pressure regulator. The only thing from that list I changed was the air intake gasket because I'm not sure I trust them.

I'm sure it's out of time but can't get it to run long enough to test.

Does anyone have any ideas? If so please help I'm frustrated, out of ideas and sick of dumping money!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Turn you dist. to see if it starts running better. Or maybe bad gas...?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bad gas, pluged cat, unbolt your exhaust before the cat and open it up so theres air flow and see if it makes her run better. should be fun hearing the open exhaust too.

Last edited by craby; 05-19-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I would re check all vaccum lines, and if you cant check it completely then replace it. example would be the vacuum line that runs under the ac compresser ( if you still have ) to the fuel vapor tank. I had a big leak there I would not have found if I hadnt decided to remove the compresser. and since my 305 just blew up I am finding even more as I pull stuff off to get ready for the engine swap. and I thought I had found them all. if you have cruise controll, there is a vacuum ball thing ( on 84 anyway) that is between the driver side front wheel and front end just under the fender ( you see it from under the fender between the fender and inner engine well) that was completely dry rotted through on mine.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Thanks for your input guys. I don't think it's bad gas because it was almost empty and I put about 3/4 of a tank in it with some fuel injector cleaner.

If I can get a buddy to help me I'll try turnin the dist. I did that before replacing the cap + rotor and it seemed to run better, but if it died it wouldn't start until it was turned back.

If I can't get any help today then I'll go for the cat as suggested. I'll be sure to post what I find out.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

i second the plugged cat theory. My pickup would not idle until we drilled holes it the cat.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Default Still Stumped

Thanks to all of you for your input, i appreciate all suggestions.

I put a hole in the cat the size of my index finger. (the whole finger, not just diam.) It seemed to help a little. We turned the dist. til it ran better. Idled steady, but fast. Decided to time it the next day. The next day it wouldn't idle smooth like the day before and couldn't get it timed. No matter how much we tried to adjust it we didn't have the luck we did the previous night.

I got a code while we were messing with it for the 02 sensor. This is the first time i personally got that code. I wonder if the place that did my diagnostic was honest and not trying to screw me. Do you guys think I should replace one part at a time on the list in my first post and see if it gets any better? Do you think it's something totally different? I'm completely at a loss right now.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

every one of the things on the list can do what is happening. it may be all. start with the least expensive. check the wires to. if the vacumm hoses were that bad it may be that the wires didnt fare to well either.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:49 PM

yeah definitely check wiring because I was having problems similar to that with my car except mine is carb. And all it was was the little wire on the starter being messed up.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:33 PM

I bought new plugs and wires tonight and plan on starting on that tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some progress.

Quick Reply: 1987 iroc won't idle