1985 Camaro Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Default 1985 Camaro Questions

So I have an '85 Camaro with a 305 carb that im looking to fix up. 88k original miles on it body and interior is in immaculate shape. I am thinking about dropping a 400 Small block bored .30 over with a 327 crank and 292 gears. I'm also thinking about picking up a twin turbo kit to push 5psi a turbo to it and was wondering what rods, pistons and heads would be the best to do this with? If you got any insight on this please let me know? Also if you know how much modding to the engine bay needs done I got plenty of time to do this so just wanting to get some ideas on parts first then i'll worry about other stuff.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

turboing a 400? good luck. that engine has issues cracking the cylinder walls with just higher compression, let alone boost. better bet would be to just use a 350 with forged internals and do it right the first time

Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

You are biting off more than you can chew. A supercharged 400 is a HUGE undertaking.....not to mention you will need a new transmission and a new rear end. Frame supports and a whole new cooling system. Seriously, you are talking about reinventing a whole new car here.

My suggestion...??....go with a 383. A nice stroker will set you back 3 grand.....a set of 3.73's another 500........that combo alone will be MORE than enough. Trust me....this much torque will scare you. Have you driven a car yet that will go sideways at 1/3 throttle?

Last edited by ScottD; 12-26-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:18 AM
Default Turbo

Ok I didn't know the 400's had all those problems my dad actually suggested to turbo it. We already have a 350 out of a corvette sitting on an engine stand that has all of the wiring and everything. So maybe i'll just start breaking it down and rebuilding it. He wants it to drop in a '96 mustang or a 95-97 240sx but i think he wont have a problem handing it over. Sooooo .383 stroker motot with 2x T04 Turbos? Anyone done the swap from auto to manual that they could give me some insight on? What do you guys feel about the generic turbo kits on ebay for $1300?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

What are your goals with this car? If it is a daily driver, I don't get the want for one...let alone multiple turbos. If you have a well built stroker motor, that should be plenty. If it is a drag car, then yep, I get it, but you will need a lot of chassis and rear mods before you even start on a motor. What state do you live in?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Default 400 small block

I dont know why people are afraid of the 400 block, I ran one in my 84 camaro, it had forged internals, but was a factory block, and I twisted it up around 7800 rpm with a 330 shot of spray, and the motor is still running with no issues. I do agree a twin turbo set up will be very expensive, better off putting a mild motor together with a little spray.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by djs383
What are your goals with this car? If it is a daily driver, I don't get the want for one...let alone multiple turbos. If you have a well built stroker motor, that should be plenty. If it is a drag car, then yep, I get it, but you will need a lot of chassis and rear mods before you even start on a motor. What state do you live in?
The goals are just for the hell cause i can :P Just something i've always wanted and the boost will be low i've decided to go with the 383 stroker motor with 9.2 compression ratio

Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well, okay then if you have a plan, then good luck. I mentioned state, because you may want to look into emission laws....

Still, keep in mind these era cars were not built for that type of power, the subframes will need to be tied and a cage may not be out of the question depending on use. If you do race it with slicks, for sure a new rear would be advisable. I have a built stroker with a built 700R4 trans and I am babying my stock open 10 bolt until I can go with something more stout. A 10 bolt with slicks is an invitation for a broken axle and severe damage to the car. Also, watch your manifold height as a cowl hood, or a modified hood may be needed. There isn't a whole lot of room height wise from air cleaner to hood. I think you realize the cost isn't going to be cheap, but it does sound like a cool set up if you can pull it off.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Yeah and the state is Indiana so emission laws arent an issue really. Yeah I know and im sooooo glad someone actually gave me some info on what ill need to do. The engine im ordering is set up for 400hp and gonna push 5psi boost to each turbo so i'm not looking for a rediculous amount im just looking for that BOV sound and a nasty v8 lobb. No slicks really not going that far. Thanks for the cowl hood mod idea i was going to do that. Also my camaro looks exactly like yours. Yeah cost wont be cheap but how often do you see a twin turbo camaro?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

No, the cost won't be cheap which is why some would ask why a higher comp, aluminum head stroker wouldn't be a better option. It is not difficult to get 500+ at the crank with a decent set up induction, cam, head combo. But, to answer your question, I have never seen a twin turbo camaro besides Andy Jensen's (Pennsylvania guy) that had the record for fastest naturally aspirated small block chevy, he has moved on to turbos and is pulling some crazy numbers with his set up.

Quick Reply: 1985 Camaro Questions