70-81 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

Color Finders

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Color Finders

I have an 81 Camaro and I need to find a website that gives you a choice of colors and will be able to tell me the name of the tint i want so I will be able to tell the guys at the body shop when I paint the car.....Any ideas?

Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Color Finders

See if this helps
http://www.paintscratch.com/

Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

It didnt have the color of blue Im looking for...But thanks!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

are you just going with the same color that is on the car now?

I honestly woudn't use a bodyshop that can't find that stuff out on their own. I would be extremely worried if you are not going for a total paintjob because if they can't handle doing the groundwork and research to find out what they need to use, what do you think their ability to actually put a nice paintjob on the car is going to be?

I would run from them as fast as you can

Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Nah, Im changing the color scheme totally...The car was originally black until about 7 yrs ago the guy before me painted a chrome silver (I hated it) the Camaro was in a wreck and he replaced some panels and primered them....so I sanded down the car and primered it all...I went broke (high school job...) So I havent been able to put paint on it...I have a guy who said he will do it for the cost of the paint only if I be there all throughout the body work...which is awsome b/c I can learn more from it....I've seen his work and i trust him completly...I jus want to find a good site or somplace I can find a color I like and know the name so I know what shade it is and the the precise name for it incase I need to touch up later yah know?....I would love put it back to black but Im affraid the body wont be good enough to hide it well enough...Im lookin towards more of a sky blue with a metal flake, with Pearl White racing stripes...I know the 81 didnt have racing stripes but I like the look they put on the car...

Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

I have to say that I think stripes look WAY out of place on those years, but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about that.

as far as coloring goes, if you are going for a complete color change, just look though his color books at the shop or go to your local supply shop and look through theirs. you are going to get better and more accurate visuals on color pads than you could ever get online

Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 AM

If you are haveing a total colour change just ask for the left over paint, then if you need some later you know it`s got to be right. even if it means buying a little extra to start with. Most paints dohave a long shelf life.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

funny thing that today I was actually out chasing touch-up paint for my GTO. I just put a custom paintjob on it and the shop is kind of far away so I figured that it would be easier to just go to the dealer parts counter and ask for some help with their paint books so I could find the code. they didn't even know what I was talking about. "what is your VIN number?" they asked. when I told them I didn't have one, they were lost

I finally went to their bodyshop and had to deal with the idiot behind the counter for about 20 minutes trying to explain to him the whole time that if I could talk to their painter, this would be resolved in less than 5 minutes.

painter came out, went back in and got the book, two minutes later I had my paint pen ordered

Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

1969SS: That is a good idea...I'll be sure to take you up on that idea...

U K CHRIS: I never thought of that...Thank you very much for pointing that out before it was too late....THANKS!!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 AM

For me, I would personally choose a red tint. The link z28pete gave is definitely awesome!

Quick Reply: Color Finders