Wire to Coil

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Wire to Coil

I think I have an issue with a wire that comes out of the harness out of the firewall to the coil. My engine is cutting off while I drive it. But if I drop the clutch sometimes it will start again. Kind of weird. I noticed on the wire itself when I took off the plactic outer tubing. That it had been taped with electrical wire. After I took the tape I noticed that the wire's outer coating had been burned off in a spot. Also the connection to the coil looks like it's loose. (the plastic clip itself has seen better days) Would this wire cut the power to the engine? Am I on the right track? I was going to replace the wire and go from there. I just replaced the sparks plugs. So it's kind of weird that this problem came out of nowhere. I went to a couple of auto part places to find the plactic clip that goes over the metal contact ends. But no luck. I also noticed that this same wire clips in about half way down. Is this normal for 1980 Camaro's? Also does anyone know where I can find a replacement wire? I saw a couple of different ones a the auto parts store but there was no exact match.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say thats the coil hot wire and if so yes it would make the motor stop or die. cut the wire up and down from the damaged area and resplice the ends together. do some shrink fit over the repair. the current going threw the wire is not high volts or amps so the clip on the coil should be ok unless the fit is way lose. check for any signs of heat damage on the metal connecting part of the plugin.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Re

I checked the wire and saw where it looked like to was re-wired. So I cut it and re-wired myself and use some heat wrap on it. Pretty tight. Half way down the wire disconnects for another wire that goes into the firewall. So I am going to check that connection again just to make sure.
Maybe test the wire with a volt meter. The connection to the coil is loose so I will try to tighten it up somehow. Just don't like to rig things. Would prefer to find that a new plastic end piece.