Senders on 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Senders on 350

I have an 88 5.7 out of a half ton. I pulled the TBI off and carbed it. I am trying to figure out what is what. Somebody warned me that the knock sensor would shut the motor down without a hookup to the ECM. Is that the one by the dipstick on the block and do I remove and plug the hole or ground the sender? Where is the oil pressure, water temp senders. I understand that the tach goes to the HEI and the fuel goes to the rear. I guess the volt meter reads from the battery cables.

All I have left is the a sender with a pot looking thing above the oil filter with a single spade and a sender between the sparks by the first cylinder with a nipple for something to clip to. And one sender on top next to the distributer hole (away from the intake) with two spades surounded by an oval clip (I think that was something fancy for the ECM in the 88 setup).
What do I need/what can I leave sitting/what needs to be removed??? Can anybody give me a picture of the wireing harness for my 78, pointing to what hooks up where.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since your 78 isn't computerized, the knock sensor (which is on the passenger side of block) is a non issue. You can leave the k.s. in the block, or remove it and install a plumbing plug. The knock sensor originally controlled ignition timing, but the HEI distributor you're putting in should be non-computerized.
Sensor fittings: Over the oil filter boss-oil pressure. Behind intake manifold, on lifter valley wall-oil pressure. Drivers side head, between #1 & #3 spark plugs-temperature. Those sending units that are already in the block might not be compatible with your gauges and wiring.