my first question....oh GEEZ!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Default my first question....oh GEEZ!

ok I am STUPID NEW to this car, and this life style, so bear with me. My I just bought was 90 percent restored by a guy and his two kids. I got a car that needs a little, but HAS A LOT. I want to do this in pieces, first is TRANNY. Here is a list of what I got on the car, per the former owner:

Domed pistons
202 big valve heads
Roller cam
Roller rockers
Holley Street Dominator high rise intake manifold
Holley 750 duel feed double pumper carb
Accel coil
New distributor
Taylor made 8mm spark plug wires
Hooker Super Competition headers
3 inch exhaust with Flow Master mufflers
MSD ignition
High volt starter
Moroso 7 qt. deep oil pan, with high volume pickup
New alternator
New power steering pump
Big Block aluminum radiator
Electric fan
Aluminum ribbed valve covers
Transmission is a Turbo 350 which has been completely rebuilt
Shift kit
Hughes 2500 stall converter
Hughes finned transmission pan
Trans cooler
B & M ratcheted shifter
Rear end is 8 and 3/4 and is all brand new
New Eaton posi unit
New US ring and pinion 456 gear
Tom's Kick *** racing axels
3 way adjustable rear drag shots
Aluminum finned rear cover
All brakes are new (shoes, wheel cylinders, lines)
New leaf springs
New shackles & bushings
New dashboard
New gauges
New interior ( seats recovered, new tracks, new headliner, new interior map lighting, new door hinges)
New rear tailights
New side marker lights
New front parking lights
Custom made front grill
New battery in trunk
New doorhandles
New rear view mirror
New am/fm stereo w/cd player
New Camaro emblem on front nose

The former owner and my dad who is a big car guy, told me that this car is a drag racer or street racer with the gear ratio with about 400 hp. Not so good for MPG, hahahaha, but I want to put a 5 or 6 speed manual in this thing. I did a quick look and it seems possible to get a 5 speed, but I dont know about a 6. Has anyone done this on a car that has a slap stick tranny? Where is a good place to look for trannys?

Thanks in advance for the help, and I would probly get someone to do the work for me, as I am not a mechanic

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you thought of trying a 700r4. should be a much easier switch and you would get a .70 to 1 overdrive.
http://www.performabuilt.com/gm%20pe...d%20truck.html
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm

Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear member

First off, what are you going to do the most with it. Street or race?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM

honestly, I want to drive it a lot, and sometimes if someone wants to do a little drag race on a back road, have fun. I WILL NOT race on a drag strip or any function or anything like that. It is probly more a cruiser. That is why i was thinking that I need to get the tranny changed.

As to the links that were provided so far, thank you so much but I also dont know what I need ......Like would it be easier to rebuild my tranny to a different gear ratio and add an overdrive? or just take out this 350 Turbo and sell it, and get anther one? If I get another one, what all do I need to order for it? or does it just plug right in? <---Yah right

Again sorry if this seems very silly or such a nooby questions, but I want to understand what I need to do with this monster.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

just ditch the 4.56's in the rear for a set of 3.73's a lot cheaper. And you cant rebuild the tranny for overdrive! The th350 will do just fine but like I said rear gears would be easier to change to a 3.73 or even a 3.42 for a little better gas mileage.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, you can get an overdrive unit to add on to a TH350 or400, but they're much more expensive than completely replacing the trans. I would say to go with a 700R4 for the easiest swap, and least money. I would also change to 3.73 at the same time and you'll still have great performance with the 700R4's lower first gear, then have much improved highway mileage with the overdrive 4th gear.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM

yah that is what I think I will do, I am going to get the specifics on my Posi unit, and start with the gears. Then do the tranny. Thanks a million every, I will be looking at gears sets now.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 PM

OK so I have been looking like a fool online for a new gear set...and I dont know what to buy! It seems that the only 8.75 rear end that I can find is made by Mopar, which I thought was a Dodge product. Then I found out from Jeggs that there is 2 different kinds of 8.75's

So now here comes the million dollar question: how do I measure the rear end to make sure its a 8.75, then how to find out what ?model? it is? Please keep it simple, I am literally stupid when it comes to this stuff, but want to learn!

And a side question: when i look at different gears, they have all these gear ratio's and differnent numbers for like 10/42 etc, what does that mean? and is bigger better or vis versa...

THanks

Old 06-25-2011, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear member

The rear end in a second gen car is 8.5,so unless the previous owner did some type of custom fab job,then it sounds like they just gave you the wrong specs on it.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yep, 2nd Gen Camaros use a 8.5" 10 bolt GM rear.

Quick Reply: my first question....oh GEEZ!