help me by telling me what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Cool help me by telling me what to do

Hey i have a 81 camaro with a mild 350 brand spanking new 3.73 posi rear end in it and a rebuilt th350 transmission and I want to make it FAST. the motor is real mild i bought the car with it in it and the guy was a tool, it still has a mechanical fan boring cam lame stall converter everything just basic. tell me what i should do to soup this sob up... i am curently saving for a nice new 4 speed manual but maby thats the wrong step. tell me what you have done and been sucsessfull with.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

first thing is intake and exhaust. get yourself a set of long tube headers, get rid of the catalytic converters if you don't have to do emissions, and a get a set of magnaflow or flowmaster mufflers. After that, get a k&n air filter, 8.5mm wires, new 4 barrel carb (around 650cfm). Then a new intake manifold and while your doing that get a new distributor and msd 6AL box. Get rid of the stock fan and go with an electric one. If you want, get an aluminum radiator. Then start getting into cam, lifters, if you have the money go for some aluminum heads, pistons, etc.

If you have an auto trans, you can always get a new torque converter, shift kit, and b&m style shifter.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Procharger, blow through carb and a new stall.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks mr.blue im gonna take that to heart this is my first car and therfore my first built so im trying to figure out the bes things to do eh. i bought it with the th350 trans what you think about swaping that for a race 4 speed something with a tiny throw in it, or do the shift kit in the th350

Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Its up to you. I think it will be a ton of work to convert it to a manual transmission rather than building your automatic. The mods i listed above are like going from the shallow end to the deep end. The shollow end being intake/exhaust and deep end being, new heads and internal work. Don't think that because it's a manual it must be faster. I just had my trans built this summer and the thing shifts haaarrd. So where some guys in their sti's may miss a gear or lose time by shifting slow, the car does all the work for me...and fast.

If you want a 4 speed its just preference. just doing that by itself wont make your car any faster than it is now though. If i were you, i would focus on building your motor since it seems your trans and rear end are done. then if you feel like you want to slam those gears, go for it.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ya i do love driving standard but i think ill listen to what basicly everyone has told me and just do the shift kit and torque converter.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 AM

theres a drain in my 80 camaro! if i let the car sit for a day the battery will be dead what can i do to locate the problem??

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by matthew4:20
theres a drain in my 80 camaro! if i let the car sit for a day the battery will be dead what can i do to locate the problem??
If you have a question you would probably be better off creating a new thread instead of posting in someone's that asks about performance upgrades. No big deal just for future reference. Welcome to the Forum too!

See if this helps answer your question:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/2nd-g...-please-63405/

Also, you can always go the the auto parts store and pick up a trickle charger in the mean time. They are cheap and they can also be used to jump your car.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

use a volt meter and check all the fusses when the car is off and doors closed.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:08 AM

Thanks and I'll try to figure this forum thing out with threads