fuel spark but wont fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Default fuel spark but wont fire

I recently purchased a 79 z28 5.7 350 on ebay and thought i would like a winter project but of course ebay can get you. When i got the car it barely ran. I went to load on trailer after a 1000 dollar shipping charge and the driveshaft shot out so ive been super happy so far. The ear wasnt even hooked up on one side of u joint so i replaced it. Also this car had a holley pro-jection throttle body fuel injection system installed that was completely destroyed wires melted on headers and holley said computer needed new board so i replaced the system with an edlebrock 600cfm carb along with it i installed a fuel pressure regulator and gauge. I also replaced distributor and stem, I put the engine to tdc and the rotor pointed straight ahead I installed cap to match the rotor so that the #1 would fire and left it a little loose so i could time it when it started. i replaced the intake gasket due to antifreeze leaking out when i had it tipped a little towards the driver side while i replaced the calipers. After all this work I cant get this thing to fire up and run. I mean it used to run so WHY WONT IT NOW ... The only thing i havent checked is compression i just want to get it running so i can quiet the wife about how its not a money pit lol we all know it is but she cant know that... I can see fuel enter the carb when pedal pushed. And i pulled the #1 sparkplug out hooked it to the plug wire and it sparked so im getting spark. can you please help????????

Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u may have gotten the distributor in 180 degrees off. the motor being a 4 cycle the tdc mark comes up twice each time the pistion make a complete cycle. if u happen to bring the motor to tdc using the timing mark and it is on the exhaust cycle then the distributor will be off by 180. u can take the #1 spark plug out and turn the motor over till u feel the comprssion pushing out your finger out. then turn the motor till the tdc mark comes up. that should put u at tdc on the comprssion stroke and u can set the distributor rotor to the #1 plug outlet on the cap.