Exhaust shop questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Exhaust shop questions?

So has anyone here ever got custom exhaust work done by an exhaust shop? I live in Georgia and In most not all of the counties emmsions is something you have to do but I dont where I live. I took my car up to a local shop the other day and they refused to put on the exhaust combo I wanted unless they installed cats on my car...is it really illegal or did they just want to make more money?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Any reputable shop will not install an exhaust system without all the environmental pieces it came with new. It is illegal by Federal Law to remove any of the federally mandated devices, so they weren't just trying to rip you off.
You can get a free flowing system and still have cats if you buy hi performance cats that don't restrict your system. Not as cheap as just tossing them, but it's still legal then.
IF your car was not being driven on the street, then they can legally remove whatever and put whatever you want in, but it better be trailered there and back if you did that.
I've seen a lot of cars with all the emissions removed, and never heard of anyone arrested yet, but who knows when big brother will start cracking down! I've also seen cars with bolt in cats that had straight through tubes bolted in plce of the cats, so I figured some clever guy took them out between inspections to go racing, and just "forgot" to reinstall them.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok that all makes sense. I'm going to a shop in a few days and I was just going to tell them that it was going to be a drag car but I guess it would make more sense to trailer it in instead of drive it. Thanks for clearing all that up.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ask the shop if it makes a difference whether your car comes in with cats on or off. If your car goes in with cats on, by law they cannot leave them off. But taking in a car that doesn't have cats on could be a work-around, since they weren't the ones to remove them. It depends on how the shop wants to handle it.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If they wont install a system for you, just order a set of headers and a header back exhaust system from Summit. The whole thing will run you under $300, if you can bolt parts on your car.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear member

but if ur car is old enough it dosent matter,they well work on my camaro but not my truck,my camaro is 37 years old so not to many restrictions any more.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 73camaroSS
but if ur car is old enough it dosent matter,they well work on my camaro but not my truck,my camaro is 37 years old so not to many restrictions any more.
That's correct, but it needs to be 1974 or older I believe. I think they started getting cats in 1975.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

well i had my exhaust done down here at a reputable exhaust shop and when i took my car in they ask me if i wanted to go back with cats (because my car was open headers and on a trailer) and i said no i just wanted to put my flows on with An x-pipe and turndowns and they said ok and did it but i live in alabama and i dont even think we have emissions laws to tell you the truth

Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Ask the shop if it makes a difference whether your car comes in with cats on or off. If your car goes in with cats on, by law they cannot leave them off. But taking in a car that doesn't have cats on could be a work-around, since they weren't the ones to remove them. It depends on how the shop wants to handle it.
This. If the car goes in without a cat, the shop can install whatever they please. If it come in with a cat installed, it must leave with one. If they still don't want to mess with it, their loss, go someplace else.

However if you have the money, a Magnaflow/Carsound high flow cat(s) isn't a bad way to go. Cuts down on exhaust smell a bit and of course is better for the environment (not that I'm worried though.)

Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by heartbeat_jr
well i had my exhaust done down here at a reputable exhaust shop and when i took my car in they ask me if i wanted to go back with cats (because my car was open headers and on a trailer) and i said no i just wanted to put my flows on with An x-pipe and turndowns and they said ok and did it but i live in alabama and i dont even think we have emissions laws to tell you the truth
There's a big difference betwen going in without cats, and them removing them, and not replcaing with new. They've committed no crime if the cats were already gone.

Quick Reply: Exhaust shop questions?