bye bye emissions... no? yes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default bye bye emissions... no? yes?

alright so we talked about this b4 but i got more questions,

i got the original stuff on a 79 camaro allt he smog crap and what not, as far as i know most of the smogg stuff is made up of: PCV, EGR, and the cat.
1st The PCV pushes air throught the engine itself (not the combustion chambe) and collectes vapors and what not then sending it to the carb to be mixed with the combustion air, (plz correct me if i'm wrong!) anyways we talked about remobing the emissions stuff of a car to get more HP, but i don't think that removing all the system is a good idea since i need it, legal stuff, could i get an independent air filter, instead of running it through the main air filter, and simply disconnect the hose that brings the air back to the carb and send it somwhere else to get more HP?

2nd EGR collects air from the headers and sends it back to the air filter to be re-burnt right? (to put it on persective), is it posible to disconnect the EGR valve so it won't return any air to the combustion chamber with out having problems?

Are this things posible? i don't see any posible problems but again i'm far from an expert, i believe these things would unleash Power of the engine i just wanna know if it can be done without messing anything up.
My goal is to bypass all the emissions crap outa the engine just for a few days.

by the way i have a 350 engine LM1

Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: bye bye emissions... no? yes?

First off, leave your PCV valve in place, it's more than just an emissions part. You stand more to lose if you take it out. Your crankcase needs to breathe in and out. It breathes in, either through a breather on the valve cover, or the breather tube on a stock air cleaner setup. It breathes out through the PCV valve. With the PCV hooked up to a vacuum source (either the base of the carb or below it on the manifold) crankcase pressure is "sucked" out instead of being blown out if you had only a breather. That saves a possible mess from the oil fumes (and residue) from getting blown out all over. It also creates less pressure on your gaskets; valve covers, intake manifold, timing cover, oil pan.
You can lose the EGR valve, as long as your car isn't required for testing. But removing it isn't going to give you a power boost either. If you don't need it, I would scrap it. When you're going for performance, sucking HOT exhaust gasses back into the engine is something you don't want.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

alright thx, no i wasn't intending on closing the PCV valve or removing it, but i read that all the fumes and what not are recycled meaning that are sent to the carb (i'm guessing thats what all the lil tubes from the pcv to the carb) to be burned and i was just wondering if this takes away power.
then for the EGR, i do need it to pass emissions so i can't trow it away, basically what i want to do is bypass the emissions stuff on my engine so i can get the most power out of it for 2 days or so, i want to go to a local strip and run the car a couple times just for fun, i won't be driving it like that all the time,
well if you say that none of this would give me any "hiden" power off the engine... then what would? i mean i could play with the engine and put after market stuff but i can't afford it for now, slow process, i was told that the emission control systems were most of what was taking power away from the car, some one said up to 150 hp, idk if i still believe it but still i like to,
i just wanted to se what me engine has for now without doing much mods.
basically doing this won't give me any more power right?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear member

no the the egr and will not give you any power at all if you took it off,there is nothing you can take off that will give you a 150hp,the motor in your car is very restriced,by the heads,intake mainfold,exhuast mainfold,and the stock cam,there really isnt any thing you can do to itthat is cheap if your looking for alot of HP.and im also sure Camaro 69 has a idea of what little things you can do to find the hidden HP. Oh and a lot of guys pull the smog crap off becuase it takes op a lot of space and it's all ways in the way and your engine compartment looks a lot cleaner with all that crap gone,but there is no real performance gained from pullling it off.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

alright, thats good to know, i have been mistaken for a while, wrong info i guess, thanx anyways.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: 1979RS
alright thx, no i wasn't intending on closing the PCV valve or removing it, but i read that (1) all the fumes and what not are recycled meaning that are sent to the carb (i'm guessing thats what all the lil tubes from the pcv to the carb) to be burned and i was just wondering if this takes away power.
then for the EGR, i do need it to pass emissions so i can't trow it away, basically what i want to do is bypass the emissions stuff on my engine so i can (2) get the most power out of it for 2 days or so, i want to go to a local strip and run the car a couple times just for fun, i won't be driving it like that all the time,
well if you say that none of this would give me any "hiden" power off the engine... then what would? i mean i could play with the engine and put after market stuff but i can't afford it for now, slow process, (3) i was told that the emission control systems were most of what was taking power away from the car, some one said up to 150 hp, idk if i still believe it but still i like to,
i just wanted to se what me engine has for now without doing much mods.
basically doing this won't give me any more power right?
1) However, the PCV doesn't feed through the carb. It enters below the throttle plates, or directly into the intake manifold, so it doesn't affect carburetor performance anyway.
2) There really isn't anything you can "take off" your engine for instant power gains. What you would need to "take off" is the stock exhaust manifolds and install headers. Or "take off" the stock intake manifold and install a performance one. Or take out the stock cam and put a better breathing one back in. And so on...
3) And that's how rumors get passed around the garage. It's not the "emissions control systems" that's holding back the h.p. It's the engine as a whole, built in the "smog years" that's the issue. Your engine's heads, cam, intake, compression ratio, and ignition have all been designed with only one thing in mind...NOT performance but lower tailpipe emissions and better economy.
Helping the engine breathe in and out are very good places to start. Headers for the exhale side, and a better intake/carb/filter for the inhale. And you can get parts that are emissions compliant. So to make that car perform better, you'll need to start saving your pennies.
For a no-money line-to-line boost, the best thing you can do now is to remove any unnecessary weight from the car; back seat, spare tire, put less gas in the tank, etc. A gallon of gas weighs approx. ~6 lbs~. So a full 15 gal. tank weighs in around 90 lbs. If you tried, you could easily lose some lbs. from your car. A lighter car requires less h.p. to get it moving. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I recall the rule of thumb being for every 10 lbs. you remove, it's equivelant to adding 1 h.p. to the engine. Of course, that also depends on the potential of the engine. That's why drag cars are brought down to bare-bones.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

alright thx, so i went to the track and things were ok.. more or less what i expected... not too grate but that makes it all better means more time working on my car!! yeah im thinking on getting new headers superflow or something and getting divorce duals, also a new intake manifold, new carb and an msd distributor, but thats all plans for now...

Old 12-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Being in about the same place, it's good to know the areas in targeting are the same ones being suggested here. I went with a dual plane intake and a 4 bbl. carb. The Edelbrock performance series or Weiand 8000 series that I have are comparable (and relatively inexpensive), and I went with the Edlebrock carb over the gamier Holley because It's 50 state legal if not as adjustable. The cats are going to stay because NV has serious emmision standards, however headers with a dual exhaust (even with cats) will still get you breathing alot better than the stock setup.