502 BBC in 81 T-top

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Default 502 BBC in 81 T-top

I知 considering putting a 502 BBC in my 81Z t top, 560 torque, I知 wondering if anybody knows if the t top will handle that kind of power and if not what will I need to do to make it handle it? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:36 PM
4th Gear Member

Just for starters you'll need a set of sub-frame connectors,if you get set up in the rear to put that much power to the ground it can twist the body of the car and ruin it.
Speaking of the rear,that 10 bolt will have to go in favor of a 12 bolt or nine inch Ford.
You didn't say what you have for a transmission but it will probably need attention and if it's a stick shift you may want to upgrade everything from the flywheel back including a better steel bell housing/scatter shield.
Nothing in that car was made to handle that much torque but it can be made to handle it no problem,just be ready to shell out some $$$$$$$$$$$$.
After all that you might want to invest in some beefier brakes and suspension parts.
Very nice looking car by the way.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

WOW thats a sharp car!!!! That is the most gorgeous color I have ever seen!!!!!! Also noticed some of the trim was Chrome and some was still black.....

What Y2Keglide said.

I bolted a 489 big block in a 68, set up the trans and rear end, etc, etc... FIRST LAUNCH it broke the windshield and the doors didn't shut right. I had to put it on a frame machine. NOW, thats not saying it will happen to you depending on if your tires CAN SPIN instead of planting hard and solid. The car will handle it, the trans and the rear end too...DEPENDING on how heavy your foot is and how well trained your sense of willpower is. :P If you can control yourself that 502 will be a good combo with the rest of the parts....

My blower and carb will be here Tuesday.. i am building a 434 Dart small block for mine... It is going to have to run the stock rear end and 4 speed for a year.. then i will upgrade the rear end, etc etc.. each year it will get more done to it...

SO.. I am going to have to be a good boy... OR, be ready to have it towed back to my home garage while I wait for the money to fix it.... Mine has the chrome trim all the way around. I also did NOT want the cowl hood to clear the blower, i wanted the L88, i figured I woul dhave to mod the L88 for the right clearance.... But.... that cowl hood looks pretty damn good on yours!
Let us know how the 502 goes!!! POST PICS!!!!

Old 06-03-2019, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Just for starters you'll need a set of sub-frame connectors,if you get set up in the rear to put that much power to the ground it can twist the body of the car and ruin it.
Speaking of the rear,that 10 bolt will have to go in favor of a 12 bolt or nine inch Ford.
You didn't say what you have for a transmission but it will probably need attention and if it's a stick shift you may want to upgrade everything from the flywheel back including a better steel bell housing/scatter shield.
Nothing in that car was made to handle that much torque but it can be made to handle it no problem,just be ready to shell out some $$$$$$$$$$$$.
After all that you might want to invest in some beefier brakes and suspension parts.
Very nice looking car by the way.
Thanks, I have the frame connectors but was hesitant to put the posi rear end in because of the fear of twist, it痴 a turbo 350 trans with a little shift kit, I値l run it for a bit before I upgrade, I was just curious if frame connectors will do the trick because it痴 a t top. Assuming the t top has less structural stability.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by OldMech
WOW thats a sharp car!!!! That is the most gorgeous color I have ever seen!!!!!! Also noticed some of the trim was Chrome and some was still black.....

What Y2Keglide said.

I bolted a 489 big block in a 68, set up the trans and rear end, etc, etc... FIRST LAUNCH it broke the windshield and the doors didn't shut right. I had to put it on a frame machine. NOW, thats not saying it will happen to you depending on if your tires CAN SPIN instead of planting hard and solid. The car will handle it, the trans and the rear end too...DEPENDING on how heavy your foot is and how well trained your sense of willpower is. :P If you can control yourself that 502 will be a good combo with the rest of the parts....

My blower and carb will be here Tuesday.. i am building a 434 Dart small block for mine... It is going to have to run the stock rear end and 4 speed for a year.. then i will upgrade the rear end, etc etc.. each year it will get more done to it...

SO.. I am going to have to be a good boy... OR, be ready to have it towed back to my home garage while I wait for the money to fix it.... Mine has the chrome trim all the way around. I also did NOT want the cowl hood to clear the blower, i wanted the L88, i figured I woul dhave to mod the L88 for the right clearance.... But.... that cowl hood looks pretty damn good on yours!
Let us know how the 502 goes!!! POST PICS!!!!
Thanks, gona put the chrome all the way around shortly, this car was red with a black scoop on the factory hood and black rims when I first got it, he guy had taken the chrome off and painted it black, disgusting, going to have to buy new chrome ones, oh well, sharp car you have there as well.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not sure how the factory did it, but the black pieces I have that came off my car look rather horrid... It got the Berlinetta chrome.. Also not sure if it was an option to order the car with chrome trim instead of black? I was under the iompression that ALL Z28's came with the blacked out trim. I have no idea how much structural integrity that car will have, I wish I did... I admit I have been considering a roll bar, even though my car is not a t top car. it would help tie everything to together and stiffen the chassis.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Most Z-28 and SS models with blacked out trim.The car can handle a big block depending on the horsepower.Remember the early 1970-3 Camaros came with big blocks. So even one with a "T" top can do so.Especially a Z-28 .I have a 1979 Z-28 with a supercharged 500 HP plus small block. With a Super T-10 4 speed. I just update the car with a set of Competition Engineering frame connectors And the 8.5 10 bolt with 30 spline Mosier axles and a Moroso "Brute Strength" posi wit no issues .

Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I only know the uni body of a 68 Camaro cant handle 684 ft lbs of torque that HOOKS when the trans brake is released. It wasnt a t top car and it twisted the body bad enough I had to spend close to two grand to have it UN twisted. Oh, plus the broken windshield. The 502 HO from Chevrolet has 461 horsepower and 558 lb.-ft. of torque. That number is somewhat conservative depending on carb/intake and other accessories. I also think he will be fine, as long as the tires can spin. If they plant and hook... not so sure.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So... what do you use to mix your drinks with?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

The 177 blender!

Quick Reply: 502 BBC in 81 T-top