1980 camaro overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1980 camaro overheating

Alright so the car was running great for the couple weeks that ive owned it. i toolk it to a local car show just for fun, left it and walked around. after the car show i was driving my friend who came with me home and didnt notice something was wrong until it started chirping the tires... idk why it was doing that but... anyway i pulled over and looked at the temp and it was way hot. i was like not even 5 min from home so i let it cool off and it made the trip without getting too hot. added coolant and tightened the hose to the engine down cuz it blew off and tried to drive it and it overheated again. so today i changed the thermostat because its my first day off since then and that didnt help... all help would be greately appreciated and sry for the rant

Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by koltin
... anyway i pulled over and looked at the temp and it was way hot.
Don't you have a gauge in the dash so you can watch the temp before you have to pull over?
Bad water pump possibly. If it's not leaking, that would mean the impeller could have come loose from the shaft. Not very common, but it can happen. Or, possibly your radiator is clogged up with gunk. Give it a back flush and see what comes out.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok well i just back flushed the radiator and im still overheating... really fast its a matter of 2 minutes before the engine overheats. waterpump...?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Might be. So the radiator is flowing well then? Does the upper radiator hose, or the heater hoses get hot?
You're not blowing any white smoke cloud out the exhaust?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the upper radiator hose gets really hot. like to the point where it looked like it was losing shape. and on start up it smokes a little but as soon as it warms up it doesnt seem to anymore

Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by koltin
ok well i just back flushed the radiator and im still overheating... really fast its a matter of 2 minutes before the engine overheats. waterpump...?
This doesn't make sense. It overheats in 2 minutes with the coolant starting out cold? Water pump issues or not, the engine should run and heat up normally before the thermostat opens. Until the stat does open, water is just sitting still in the block getting heated up. But depending on weather conditions, that can take 5-10 minutes, or more. If you're overheating that fast, I don't suspect the water pump any more. I was going to ask if you're sure you're getting the block filled, but you said it still overheats without a stat in. Nobody messed with your ignition timing? Having it swung way retarded will overheat the engine. Hmmmmm, still thinking.....

Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

someone could have messed with the timing and i would be none the wiser... i dont know where the timing was before. and i just went out and started it hoping it fixed itsself magically(it obviously didnt) but i also timed how long it took to heat up and it was actually right at 2 min

Last edited by koltin; 07-06-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You might as well check the timing to rule out (or in) it being something ignition related. And what was that "chirping the tires" thing about? When was that happening?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thats what told me something was wrong. the car was running really weird ... i was turning barely on the gas and it chirped the tires so i let the accel out and pressed lightly again and it chirped again... idk what that was about ... and that probably sounds real dumb but im 17 and thats as well as i can describe it haha

Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

anyone read this and think they have an answer because it is my daily driver.

Quick Reply: 1980 camaro overheating