suspension for a '70

Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default suspension for a '70

what kind of suspensions are out there for a '70 'maro? which is the best.... i'm tryin to make the tail rise up... i have something, air, right now, no idea what brand... but i have to slow almost to a crawl to go over a bump...

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: suspension for a '70

DUM-DE-DUM-DUM.... HAHA JUST CHECKIN IF MY AVATAR IS GOOD ALREADY..

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There are many suspension systems out there. Why do you have to slow down for bumps? What do you expect from a new system? Ride quality or just higher rear? In the picture it looks as though your car sits quite high now.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah, but it still scrapes my tubes when i go over bumps.... well i want to raise the rear more... and right now, the car feels like it slams down when it goes over a bump... i mean i could hear the door slam down as a result of bad hinges, striker, and whats the name of the little hook that hooks onto the striker, the hook? lol.. but yeah, would u know any good brands, i'm thinkin bout goin air on front and back... to lower and raise the whole car....

Old 03-28-2008, 06:26 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I assume that by stating tubes, you mean the exhaust. You can raise the car to get clearance but maybe the pipes are not tight enough to the floor. I used shorty headers on my 72 so I could get as much clearance as possible.

You can put an air suspension on your car but there are things to consider. First is quality, there are a number of manufacturers to choose from. Most will tell you how excellent their system is and the usual crap about ride and handling. But ask them about ride height and you will get different answers. Air systems will actually lower your car when installed properly. Anyone that tells you it won't is blowing smoke or selling you a setup that will not function very good. Proper installation will give the best ride quality and handling. Although it is not impossible to keep stock height, it is better to set up the suspension to work within the optimum range of the air bag or air shock. To keep stock ride height you will need to fabricate extended mounts for the bags. Air systems do not have the range of travel that coil or leaf springs have. Air bags will normally lower the front about 1 inch, rear about 1/2-3/4 inch. If you have lowered spindles, air is almost out of the question on 2nd gen Camaros, the front sits pretty low already. It is easier to change back to stock spindles than to modify the air system.

I am biased as to manufacturer since I sell and install Air Ride Technologies systems. But the truth is they have done their homework on these systems and have the best engineered suspension on the market. The price reflect that but you can pay now or pay later (if you get the cheap stuff). I put an Air Bar four link on the rear of my car and Shockwaves on all four corners of the car. Shockwaves give less adjustability fir height than bags but have much better handling plus you do not need to relocate the shock and the dampening/rebound is adjustable. The car will sit about 2 inches lower than stock but everything was planned around this. Exhaust clears the ground and I still fitted 10 inch wheels on the rear with some slight wheelhouse mods.

Short story is: If you want air suspension you need to shell out the money and plan around the system to get the most from the suspension.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea i was searchin for the word but my mind went blank so i just put tubes... lol... what would be a fair amount to pay when buyin/installin the system... what would be too much?.... oh since u have a '72.... when buyin headers... does it matter what year the engine in ur cars is or isthe year of the car that makes the difference.... are any mods necessary to fit them properly....can u pleasepost me a link to the headers u got on ur car.... the whole headers things is wierd to me, and the headers forums hasn't really helped... it would be so helpful to me...

Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The headers I bought were here: http://stores.ebay.com/whiteperformance1
They do not have any listed right now like mine. I got the ceramic coated headers. The last time I talked to them they expected to get more in and may have them by now. They are great people to deal with, will answer any questions for you and their prices are good. The year of your engine will not matter as long as you have stock heads and you have a gen 1 SBC. No mods were neccessary to fit mine in the car.

Air suspension systems vary a lot in price depending on your choice of controls. Also, if you decide on air bags for the rear you will need to find an installer that knows his trade and you will not be able to use tailpipes on your exhaust. The bags use up too much room over the axle and the mounts are custom made. The four link is mostly a bolt in but there is welding to do so you need a good wire feed to do the job. Air bags with the four link costs around $1250. Shockwaves are like high tech air shocks and are best for handling, a system with four link is about $2750. Both these prices do not include control system. Control systems include compressor, tank, valves, wiring and control panel or digital readout. Prices can range from $700 for basic gauges with switches to $2500 for auto leveling ride control.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank u very much... You've been very helpful..... it's check out the link.... how do u know if your block is a 1st gen block.... the mechanic that worked on it told me it's from a 80 something....

Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRs72RS

I am biased as to manufacturer since I sell and install Air Ride Technologies systems.
I'll have to remember that

Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

ORIGINAL: JRs72RS

I am biased as to manufacturer since I sell and install Air Ride Technologies systems.
I'll have to remember that
Why is this....I inquire? lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suspension for a '70