leafspring with gabriel coilover shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Default leafspring with gabriel coilover shocks

ok so I have a 75 camaro new leafsprings and gabriel coilover shocks replaced all 4 . My rear drivers side sits 1 inch lower than the pass side I'm 1" off exactly from one side to the other pass side shock is stiff while drivers side seems to be weaker my question is if I install a 1" shock extender to the side thats lower would this correct the uneven stance I believe the shock mounts the way they are are 1" differance from each side would the coilover shocks with the new leafsprings be causing this

Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by kenhcook
ok so I have a 75 camaro new leafsprings and gabriel coilover shocks replaced all 4 . My rear drivers side sits 1 inch lower than the pass side I'm 1" off exactly from one side to the other pass side shock is stiff while drivers side seems to be weaker my question is if I install a 1" shock extender to the side thats lower would this correct the uneven stance I believe the shock mounts the way they are are 1" differance from each side would the coilover shocks with the new leafsprings be causing this
I've never heard of anyone combining coilovers with leaf springs? I can't think of a reason the standard shock staggered position would cause one side to sit different than the other? Are these adjustable coilover shocks, where you can set spring preload? Maybe post a part number for them, so we could look them up.
Spring installation can often affect ride height. New springs should have new bushings, and they need to be lubed with the proper silicone grease when installed. Then the car's weight should be on the springs before the bolts are tightened. If the springs were installed and all bolts tightened with the axle hanging, or not lubed, they will sit differently.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I've never heard of anyone combining coilovers with leaf springs?
Sure you have, or at least I have. Here are the Gabriel "coilover" shocks, also reefered to as overload shocks...

Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 AM

Ok so I pulled the car out on the street and parked it now it seems to be normal I can't believe a drive way can make such a difference

Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

well the street has a crown so you may still be uneven take it to a large concrete if possible parking lot and re measure. if still un even pull shocks to make sure it not a leafspring issue. i had two i dentical leaves when i replaced mine and they sat at completely different heights and had to have one exchanged

Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sure you have, or at least I have. Here are the Gabriel "coilover" shocks, also reefered to as overload shocks...

I guess I should have said I haven't heard of anyone doing it unless they were towing.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by kenhcook
Ok so I pulled the car out on the street and parked it now it seems to be normal I can't believe a drive way can make such a difference
Take a look at this picture, and you'll see how much a slight difference can make in a driveway! The driver's side (fence side) of my driveway is a bit over 1" higher than the passenger side, towards the house. You can see the rear wheelwell opening has almost no clearance when parked here, but driver's side has 2" of clearance above the slicks. I can turn the car around and get the opposite look.