Dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Dumb question

Hello, I just got my new leaf springs and with them, new bushings and hardware. I want to install them but I am wondering about how to situate the car in reference to the jack and stands....I need to jack up the rear end and place it on jack stands, correct? or is there something else I should do when replacing the leafs? Also, the spring mounts that attach towards the front of the car are accessed when the two bolts that affix it to the car via the mounting plate are removed, correct? I see no other way to removed the through bolts that attach the spring. In fact, I don't even see the through bolts so I guess you have to remove the two small bolts to gain access? Thanks in advance

Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

Spray everything very good with wd40 or the like. When you are letting this soak in take time to read up on leaf spring removal.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
When you are letting this soak in take time to read up on leaf spring removal.
I think he's looking for more help than "go read up".

tattoo400,
You'll find there's 3 bolts that hold the front spring plate, and they are tough to get any penetrant to the threads, as the nuts are hidden under the floorpan. They often seize up if you live in a area with much road salt. If they are, then you'll need to cut access holes in the floorpan to hold the cage nuts, or spray them.
When changing springs you need to jack the whole car up and put jackstands near those spring plates on the rear frame. Then you'll need a floor jack to put under the differential so you can support the load off the springs and keep them from dropping when unbolted.
You may need to cut the rear shackle bolts to replace the springs, and install new repro, or aftermarket shackles. I built my own, as it was cheaper, and easier than getting repros, and aftermarkets were all too long.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

And there you go.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
And there you go.
And now you have officially set the one day record for most posts with no content! Please submit your info to collect your prize!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I think he's looking for more help than "go read up".

tattoo400,
You'll find there's 3 bolts that hold the front spring plate, and they are tough to get any penetrant to the threads, as the nuts are hidden under the floorpan. They often seize up if you live in a area with much road salt. If they are, then you'll need to cut access holes in the floorpan to hold the cage nuts, or spray them.
When changing springs you need to jack the whole car up and put jackstands near those spring plates on the rear frame. Then you'll need a floor jack to put under the differential so you can support the load off the springs and keep them from dropping when unbolted.
You may need to cut the rear shackle bolts to replace the springs, and install new repro, or aftermarket shackles. I built my own, as it was cheaper, and easier than getting repros, and aftermarkets were all too long.
Thank you so much for the HELPFUL information! just what I was looking for, you are a true help my friend

Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 AM

Don't forget some jackstands under the rear framerails along with the ones under the rear diff. And you won't have to necessarily have to cut holes in the floor for the j-clips holding the front leaf spring mount. If they are stuck, grind the head of the bolt off and get the spring out of the way and then you can deal with the stuck bolt and you won't have to fix the hole you put in the floor to get to them. I just went through this. But the rest of the info is spot on.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

anyone here seen a lowered 81 camaro? oh my lord is it tacky. its chevy folks, ride high and proud

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by briando
anyone here seen a lowered 81 camaro? oh my lord is it tacky. its chevy folks, ride high and proud
I've seen a number of lowered 2nd gens, and depending on how it was done, or how low they went, some look very nice.

Quick Reply: Dumb question