car wonders at all speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear member
Default car wonders at all speeds

ok so about a year ago i put all new suspintion on my 73 camaro,which consited of front and rear springs and all of the bushing,new front sway bar link and bushings,so i took it to les schawb and had it alined,but it still wonders,they told me i need to replace all of my steering stuff,so about 3 or so months ago i did,and i had it alined once again and it still wonders,so i took it back about 2 months ago and the told me the problem was the tries,so i replaced the tires and rims with brand new stuff and i still have the same exact problem,has anybody else had the same problem and does any body have any idea what the problem is. sorry about the grammer and spelling.

Thanks Tony

Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: car wonders at all speeds

has anybody had this problem at all,please help i dont what this ruining my new tires or suspintion

Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Did you or somebody else change your steering components? You have to be careful when sending your car to someone else, they could rip you off badly. That's why I prefer to work on my own vehicles even if the ground is all snow. When you change any of your steering components you should change all of them. That's what I did on my 82 Camaro that I used to have. Right now I have 90 Camaro and I have the same problem only this time on my Camaro I have to be careful with the throttle because if the front end hops up to much there's a loud clunk in the front and then my car will pull majorally to the right. I think that one of my steering components are badly worn. My father keeps telling me that it's the transmission mounts but I find that less likely.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear member

i did all of the work my self and every thing has been replaced,and i have new engine mounts,and tranny mount.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Have you checked the steering box? With the car not running swing the steering wheel from side to side. Do this gently just to see how far you can turn it before it starts to move the front wheels. An inch or two is alright but many cars have more than that. This freeplay can be adjusted on the steering box. On top of the box is a stud with a lock nut on it. Loosen the nut and turn the stud in to tighten, be careful to not over tighten it. Just a gentle turn in until it stops do not put any torque on it.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear member

ok thanks JR i will try that,why couldnt the idiots at les schwab figure that out