Air Shocks

Old 09-19-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Air Shocks

I have an 81 Camaro...I remember when i first got the car my dad told me that i could raise the back end and give it a mean stance...well when i took an air hose to the valve the car didnt budge...that was over two years ago....my car is gettin to the point where the air shocks is pretty high up on my list....I have already replaced the line but it hasnt change the result....Is there any tips for me to be able to check what my problem is...Maybe jus gettin a bigger line....or my shocks are jus blown out....Any help is apperciated...thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Air Shocks

if they are not doing anything i would say they are shot.put a air gauge on them and see how much pressure you have .if you getting nothing then you have a leak somewhere or the shocks are bad.jack the car up,put jack stands under the frame,let the jack down and let the rearend hang without the weight of the car.put air in the shocks,then let the car back down on the ground see if it helped..check the valve inside the valve stem,make sure its good.i've never used them so i'm limited to what i can tell you.good luck,hope i helped

Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

just to let you know, airshocks are one of the worse things you can do to your rear suspension (next to adjustable shackles). they ruin your ride quality, make your suspension very dangerous because they don't absorb the bumps and instead skip over them, and they also ruin your rear springs. you are MUCH better off spending a few extra bucks on a quality spring if yours are gone, and buying a decent gas shock instead

I don't think I really answered your question but I justwanted you to know about their downfalls

Old 09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the Tip. My Camaro had the worst suspenion anyways. Even the smallest bump in the road and my car will rattle like its about to fall apart. My radio will skip. I dont know whats wrong with it, it just doesnt seem to take bumps very good. Gas shocks?...will i be able to adjust my ride height as easily like I could with air shocks? How much more will I be looking at to upgrade?

Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

your car rides like a dump-trunk mainly because of your shocks. I'm sure if the previous owner put air shocks in back, he probably put some cheap type shocks in front also (if he even did that much).

gas shocks are the way to go. depending on your budget, there are many goodchoices. there is no height adjustability with gas shocks though.

you firsthave to ask yourself one thing though.

would you rather have a car that: rides like a rock, doesn't handle good, sends sharp pains up you back everytime you hit a bump and looks so out of date with a jacked-up rear

or

would you rather have a car that rides smooth, handles nicer, doesn't jump over every bump in the road, doesn't make your stereo skip and has a stance that it is supposed to have?

if you say the second one, buy new gas shocks. if you want the first scenario, well..........................

Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

lol....thanks for clearing that up for me 1969 SS....I'll go with the gas shocks

Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I had air shocks on mine to raise up the rear to level it out. It was a cheap fix and it felt like it. Consider this your lucky day that you now have the perfect excuse to dump your air shocks and get something good. Just did this with mine, replaced coils & leafs (Eaton stock replacements), shocks (Edelbrock IAS Classics) and I can tell you my car is now fun to drive again. While I was at it also replaced all bushings.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the Input Guys!...Im going to order my Gas shocks...I apreciate the Help.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bamaro

I had air shocks on mine to raise up the rear to level it out. It was a cheap fix and it felt like it. Consider this your lucky day that you now have the perfect excuse to dump your air shocks and get something good. Just did this with mine, replaced coils & leafs (Eaton stock replacements), shocks (Edelbrock IAS Classics) and I can tell you my car is now fun to drive again. While I was at it also replaced all bushings.
another satisfied customer

Old 10-30-2007, 03:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey bud, you need to replace your coil springs as well. It is important to get the hight back. They are about 50 a piece, and a shock is about 20 a piece, easy to do it your self though. I just did it to my 92 RS. It looks pissed off again instead of a beaten dog.!! GO BOW TIE GO!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Shocks