1975 Camaro basic suspension "refreshning"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Default 1975 Camaro basic suspension "refreshning"

Hi guys, I've been relentlessly stalking your forums for the past few months as I've recently switched over from a 65' Mustang to my 75 Camaro. The Camaro is being built pretty much just for a fun to drive/tinker with car. I have a few questions regarding my suspension, Ill try to be as clear as possible.

Goal: Get this thing back to being road safe is my primary concern (has been at least in a partial flood and probably not driven for around 4-5years) and being able to corner somewhat decently for an older car (obviously not a road course driver)

1. Are there any rebuild kits you would recommend or is it better to just piece one together (if so which brands for which pieces)?

2. What springs/shocks would you recommend to keep the ride comfortable but give it a more sporty handle/look?

3. Any other odds or ends you Camaro builders are probably aware of that Im still clueless to in my youth.

Cost: Im not trying to spend a fortune on the suspension, just get it safe enough to drive and have fun on the weekends. I know you get what you pay for so a nice happy medium would be good considering some of the other work I have to do.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Maybe just replace all of the rubber bushings with something like the PST ones an busy some KYB Gas Adjust shocks from Napa. Theres a link below for the front end i didnt see a rear end.

I bought shocks at napa a couple months ago, bought all 4 an they were cheap, a couple hundred for all four. Infact i still have the front ones cause i went coilovers instead.
PolygraphiteŽ Performance Super Front End Kit

Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I used Eaton exact replacement coils & leafs. Poly bushings are a good choice except for control arms. Used rubber there. For shocks I used Edelbrock IAS Classics but unfortunately they have been discontinued. Very happy with the results.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you're looking to make it safe, and not tie up a ton of money, then you might want to go with stock rubber bushings, and new ball joints. NAPA had the best prices around when I did my ball joints, and I paid $16 ea. for them there. You can upgrade to expensive ball joints and bushings, but it's a big price jump from OEM style.
I went with Gabriel gas shocks for my car, and they have handled and rode well for 13 yrs. now. The NAPA shocks are built by Monroe, and are good shocks for the price. About $30-$35 each for the Sensa-track, which is their upper grade.
I'm also running poly bushings all around, even though there have been reports of squeaky bushings. I've had no issues, but I used a ton of assembly grease on mine when putting them together.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Put Z-28/F-41 suspension on the car . Sway bars and all. I believe you can buy new springs . For the bars brackets and the bars if your does n`t have them , I would look for Z-28s or Pontiac Trans AM , Firebird Formulas for them. I would use Greaseable poly bushing on the sway bars. and rubber on the rest.I use KYB`s gas shocks my cars .But that is an apples and oranges type question. This gives you a a good basic package of which will ride nice ,that you can do as you have the time and money for.And of which you can upgrade as upgrade as you learn about the car. Just use a good set of tires,do your research and have fun.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Have you guys ever ran any of the Hotchkis suspension kits? And if so how was the ride, and the quality? Im restoring my 1980 camaro completely and need to know what the best suspension kits would be for the best price. I have looked online found the hotchkis suspension kit for about $1500.00 and the eibach is around $2400. Any ideas on what I can do to save a little money without sacrificing safety and performance?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear member

I use Hotcksis suspension ,and Rancho coil springs on my 1981 El Camino SS.And I`m quite happy about it. One way to save a little money is to find a donor car and strip it. And or buy pieces as you can afford it. It up to you.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM

Yea im looking for a compkete kit with all the bushings and suspension pieces needed to make the car a ready to drive. Do you know of anything like that? I thought about the donor car but I really want all new suspension and steering components.