Well, It's called off for weather.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Well, It's called off for weather.

It's driving me nuts but, I'm afraid I'm on hold for weather. The cold is just playing too much havoc with my leg pain. I haven't been able to do much even around the house because of it. So, I'm not going to have any updates until spring when it warms up.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Geawiel
It's driving me nuts but, I'm afraid I'm on hold for weather. The cold is just playing too much havoc with my leg pain. I haven't been able to do much even around the house because of it. So, I'm not going to have any updates until spring when it warms up.
That's a bummer! I went on Craigslist and found a 35,000 btu fan forced propane heater. I got it for $50, and it does a great job of keeping the garage tolerable.

If it's really cold I set it up and point it right towards me while I work!

Last edited by 1971BB427; 01-02-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm to the point now where I'm debating going to wood. I cant keep dumping 100's of dollars into my heat. I can burn up a 100# propane tank in a week if I spend real time out there. Then there is the kerosene heater that eats 5g in less time than the propane heater uses its tank. So thats 20+ dollars. I have my eye on one, actually my dad has two of them and I'm gonna beg for one. LOL

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh yeah, sorry to hear about the weather affecting your health. Winter bums me out in general to begin with.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Part of my problem is that I get hot very easily. I actually get hot flashes constantly. So, while my legs ache badly, the rest of my body is sweating. I tried cranking the heat in the house but, for some reason it doesn't help it. Once I can get my garage door fixed, I may look into putting some insulation on it. It has the cavities for it, or at least I think that is what they are for. That may help keep it warm better. I'm still stuck with the pain either way though.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I'm to the point now where I'm debating going to wood. I cant keep dumping 100's of dollars into my heat. I can burn up a 100# propane tank in a week if I spend real time out there. Then there is the kerosene heater that eats 5g in less time than the propane heater uses its tank. So thats 20+ dollars. I have my eye on one, actually my dad has two of them and I'm gonna beg for one. LOL
You may have to cut down the size of your work area! You've got a huge garage compared to mine, and heating all the extra space is costly when you're just working around the car or engine. Buying an inexpensive blue tarp and hanging it from the ceiling to enclose the area you're actually working in, and heating that smaller space might reduce the heating bills.

Northern Tool just sent me a email on heater sale they have going. $109 for a 60,000 btu propane heater!
Mr. Heater Forced Air Propane Heater — 60,000 BTU, Model# MH60FAV | Propane Construction Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Overdrive Member

1 had my FIL's 100,000 BTU heater last year for the Jeep rebuild. That thing was so loud. I hated it, I couldnt hear my radio over it. I just did the plastic deal so I cut the volume of the room down. It was divided and I ripped that out. The wood stove is what I'm thinking. I can get it going a day before and by the time i'm ready the whole garage will be toasty. Even the floor.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

wood is the way to go, my buddy had a 2000sqft shop with 11ft ceilings (he has a semi truck and a lot of toys) he bought this fancy natural gas heater and his gas bill tripled. he installed a wood burner and it heats the shop way faster and hotter than the gas heater. other than the work it takes to cut wood (a chain saw and a hydraulic log splitter) and the electricity to run a blower its free to run.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Overdrive Member

I dont need a blower. I did consider putting one in the house for heat, that would be tied into the main duct work. I have split wood my whole life. I did it for my gramps, they heated with the real deal farm house set up. The dmaper chain running through the kitchen floor. Then for my dad. Then my FIL is strating to age and heat is about 75% wood heat. So I have split wood all day with him. He broke down and got a splitter last year though. I hugged him.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

I've got a 55 gallon barrel/wood stove sitting in the garage that's all yours if you want it Damon. To me, from past experience, it's way too much of a PITA to use wood for the garage. I'm really not fond of having to light a fire and WAIT half a day before I can go to work. That's why it' coming out. I do use a wood stove/blower in the house though. For the garage, the little LP torpedo heater works awesomely fast and the cost comparison is equal to or better than wood and with a lot less work. The garage is 24x36 and it warms up in less than an hour with the LP heater. I'm with you however Gaewiel, the cold sucks any way you want to look at it. Every winter I have the best of intentions and make a solid plan to get progress made. Just never works out because of the cold! Rock on global warming!! Sorry, had to say it...

Quick Reply: Well, It's called off for weather.