suspending the body shell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default suspending the body shell?

I'm getting close to seperating the body shell from the frame rails finally. My original plan was to create a wooden H frame under the body shell. Then, use cargo straps and suspend it from the garage ceiling. What I'm wondering though is how much the shell weighs and, if the ceiling studs will support it for a length of time. Does anyone have any information on it? It wouldn't be all the great to suspend the shell, only to have the studs break.

The length of time would likely be a few months while I deal with the components left on the frame rails. Stripping and repainting the rails themselves. Then the brakes, suspension and fuel line prep. I'd also strip and repaint the under side of the shell while it's up in the air.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't leave a body hanging from your rafters for more than a day. The rafters are designed to carry the load of themselves and any possible snow build up, but hanging the shell for a month will cause sagging. Once the rafters sag for that length of time they will never return to their previous position, and it will affect the roof forever.
I'd pull the body and have some sort of support ready to bolt on, or set the body on as soon as the chassis is out from under it.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you, that was what I was wondering would happen. The studs are under my daughter's room so I definatly wouldn't want to do that then. What I may do is make a frame with 2x4s for support and 4x4s to form 4 posts. I can then use some square metal bars to go between and mount something to mate up with the body shell. If I can put some wheels on it, I can make it rollable. Might even be able to make it so it can rotate if I do it right.

I have some space in the front of the garage to store it when it's off the frame rails. I don't want to store it outside at all.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Overdrive Member

If your looking to do the bottom of the car. A 4x4 bolted between the front mounts, then hang that from a cherry picker will get the front end pretty high. The the back can be done by setting the rear on tall jack stands. Mine was done that way the last time. Previously it was hung from the door hinges and the bumper mounts. It was hung in a barn though.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Mainly my goal is to have it stay in the garage and be off the frame rails so I can work on it. Hanging from the ceiling would have been the best way to do that but, long term stress on the studs is at issue, as BB stated. The rear bumper and the front frame mounts is probably going to be my attachment points. I don't have access to a cherry picker or anything else like that unfortunatly. If I put it on the wooden frame, I can dismantle the frame after I'm done. Then I can reuse the wood somewhere else or, store it beside the house.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Overdrive Member

You can build cribs to get it up there for sure. Google wooden rotisserie if you are good with wood. They really work and are cheap in materials.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I've been trying to figure out a way to con one of my buddies into laying on the ground to get at the underneath of my car but he's still not biting! I like the idea of using the engine hoist though, might be able to get at it that way!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Considering what you might spend in wood and metal, plus the fact you will eventually need a hoist to pull the engine, I'd consider investing in a cherry picker. I use mine all the time, and occasionally rent it out to a buddy cheap to use. They're tickled to get to use it for long periods for $20, and it's out of the garage when I don't need it. The prices on new are under $200, and I see used on CL for down around $100-$120 too.
Here's one in Castle Rock, Wa. for $40!!!!
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/3429382936.html

Last edited by 1971BB427; 11-28-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'll share a tip with you if you should decide to find a used cherry picker. Make sure the ram/jack works good and doesn't leak before you buy it! I thought I was getting a good deal on a used picker and engine stand for $100. Until I got home and realized I wasn't done spending money.... New jacks for the pickers can be as expensive as buying a new cherry picker!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Check Harbor Freight if you live near one. You can always find a 20% off coupon in a magazine and if you watch for the cherry picker you want to go on sale and use the coupon it isn't bad at all. That's how I got mine, my press and 2 engine stands. You can also get replacement rams from them.

Quick Reply: suspending the body shell?