The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:49 PM
4th Gear Member

yes very nice an loud I am sure ,?your raceing it ,I guess I wondered couse the exhaust under the car ,I hear makes for the smell the car ,but other wise awesome ,nice color too,its the one I dream of now ,you got your carb raised up ,I have 650 1406 performer ,simple but works great,is 650 enough for your set up ,I am kinda new ,sometimes as k stupid questions ,but how elce do we learn,i like seeing how much more room you have in that engine bay ,its a 327 ci

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-18-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the comments '95, the car is coming along, slowly. I will not be racing this car with the exception of possibly once a year at an 1/8 mile drag put on at a local airport. The exhaust exits right even with the rear diff so it's past the back seats and shouldn't cause too much smell inside that I can imagine. I personally don't like the look of the standard Camaro tail pipes but I do have a brand new set of the pre-bent tail pipes that I'm (obviously) not using. I plan on changing the exhaust at some point when I have the extra funds for Supertrapp's, just can't justify that much money on something that isn't actually needed since there's so many other things that are right now. It is quite loud, but was worse before I put the extensions off the mufflers. I do have an AFR carb spacer under my carb, but not really just to raise it but rather as a heat insulator. Just as an fyi for you (not trying to be argumentative) but a 1406 Edelbrock is the 600 cfm carb with electric choke. I actually have 2 of those now. The 650 that I just bought should be just right for my engine, only because of all the head work that I had done along with the big cam I'm running and compression of just over 10:1. Otherwise, 600 would have been ideal. I really only freed up extra space/room in the engine bay by removing the factory a/c suitcase and a lot of the stock emissions hoses and the cruise control stuff. Other than that, the engine block itself is the same size as the 350 that came out of it. No worries on the questions, don't think they're stupid and I should know. I'm pretty confident that I myself sit toward the top of the question asking rankings on this forum lol! Thanks again for the comments, I too still like the chrome/polished aluminum/polished stainless look even though so many don't these days. I don't mind spending time cleaning and polishing to make everything look good.

Small update - New carb had a bad float which was causing the flooding issues. I pulled the top off the carb and one of the floats was full of fuel. Replacement will be here tomorrow and hope to be back in action. Trying to finally finish the new seat install today.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM
4th Gear Member

yes I hear you don't mind cleaning the engine either couse what I have may not be as chromed out as you I like to keep things clean ,but with my wild swap to me anything looks better then the old lt1 did,there is chrome I can get for near everything still ,I love it great job ,I think people on the site should definitely rate a bit more then they do ,an yours is a 5 star,now I now why I went oldshcool ,couse it just goes back to a simpler time in life ,the engines of today ,its kinda hard to do that with unless you find a cover for the whole engine ,there cool don't get me wrong ,I just know ,I will stay oldschool now,in the long run can be less cost to I think easyer to work on ,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-19-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would certainly agree that the older carb'd engines are easier to work on, at least for me they are. I have almost no experience working on/modifying newer, fuel injected engines, let alone anything with forced induction. People like us have quickly become the minority it now seems. I understand why so many people are doing LS swaps as you can make more power, easier but I didn't build this car to be faster than everyone else. I'm a firm believer in making my vehicles the way I want them, not the way everyone else thinks I should. Plus, this Camaro is a project that my 2 kids and I have worked on/built together. There are several things on this car that I personally wouldn't have done the way it's done, but I wasn't going to argue with a 6 and 9 year old and risk having them lose interest. I do appreciate the feedback though, thank you. The rating scale on here is irrelevant to me, didn't even know it existed until late last year and I've been a member for several years. Not a whole lot of people that actually post on here and I've become less interested in posting myself over time for this reason. Glad to have met a few great people that have been helpful with their wisdom.

I looked at the pictures of your ride and it looks great also! That must've been some work to convert it back to a carb engine. Very clean, nicely done.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:04 PM
4th Gear Member

yes I agree very much sir ,its the way I wanted it ,though like yours still a work in progress I think it will be for some time to come .right down to the headliner ,on the gen 4s most are pretty gone bye now ,around t tops mostly ,so for me the inside of the car will be last ,yes it was a lot of work about 60 hours an 6 weekes for engine trany ,but I had some big help ,though they say we beat the guys who took a few years figuring it out ,I think now someone can beat the time ,thank you I like it ,I feel the power I wanted now ,without going everyone elses way ,let us get a video when you get it rolling ,no its right there an a fine show car too ,I see it was time well spent,well with mine if I add the time for the headers an exhaust we are up 72 hours with gauges that work too,but I think I will only go so far with this one then look for an older roller ,will see ,I like up to the 2002 ,the looks ,not a big fan of some of the 3rd gens other then the iroc z 88 89, ,the new ones there ok ,I like the zr1 ,the ls7 ,but what I realy like is the engine in them .not a big fan of the new body style ,but 2015 seems to get better for looks to the older ones

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-20-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Wow! only 60 hours?! Pretty dang good IMO. I think if you added 2 or 3 zeros onto the end of that 60, that'd be somewhat accurate as far as how long it's taken me to do this thing! LOL Considering the fact that it took me pretty much this entire week to actually get the seat brackets made/remade/recycled/reused and mounted in the car, I'll still say it's about average. Ended up using the original seat brackets/sliders and welding some pieces onto them in order to fit them to the seats. Not what I set out to do but that job turned into far more than I even care to say. Nevertheless, they're in the Camaro now, console back in place, trans temp gauge operational (whether or not it's accurate remains to be seen) and power window switch not put in upside down, it was a good week. Carb #3 is installed as well. There was enough fuel in the chambers to start the engine as soon as I hit the key. Barely sputtered while the bowls were filling back up. I do have video of the engine running smoothly, and actually idling but it takes forever to upload. I'll try and get a clip up sometime. I have the front end pieces cleaned, frame sanded and painted and ready for reassembly when I return home the end of the week. Will hopefully get it out and rolling down the street shortly thereafter.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20150621_012_jpg.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20150621_013_jpg.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20150613_001_jpg.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Looking good! Hope all goes well!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 AM
4th Gear Member

well with mine it was just the engine tranny exhaust qauges ,you did full resto on yours right ,wich I plan on so still work in progress,an I had 2 very good mechanics helping me to ,yes the videos take a bit of doing ,but yes the first one like this was to have take 2 years ,to go for FI back to a carb .my last post ,makes it a bit easy to explain its not that hard ,you realy just need to change everything except the headers were lt1 ,

Old 06-30-2015, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

http://vid1298.photobucket.com/album...psyl8ubm6t.mp4

Here's a short clip of the first mile put on the Camaro. My daughter (8 yrs) was filming so it's not the most stellar quality. Nevertheless, so far so good. Trans shifts great, brakes are working as well as to be expected and it was a fun, quick trip.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds great! She did a pretty good job!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build