My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
Yeah i love the look of the Torques, my car isnt a one of a kind car by any stretch of the imagingation. I will put something on it that i like, cause its my car, not because other people say i should or shouldnt.
Good idea! I've had a few people tell me I should "update" the old rally sport wheels on my '71. I still like them, but mentioned I'd change them if I went to Torque Thrusts. Most thought I was crazy, as their idea of updating is some weird 2012 wheels design with chrome or black spokes. Fugly.
I would consider the later Torque Thrust D wheels, as they're not a bad looking, slightly updated design either.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
Yeah i love the look of the Torques, my car isnt a one of a kind car by any stretch of the imagingation. I will put something on it that i like, cause its my car, not because other people say i should or shouldnt.
I agree fully. No one will ever tell me what to put on my car.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Overdrive Member

I must say the Rocket brand "booster" look good in person. They are the five spoke design we love but the spokes are kid of triangular. The come as cast too. A look I can appreciate being in the die casting industry.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear member

I just googled those booster rims. I bet they would look killer in large rims on a new camaro.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Overdrive Member

I know of a car on Nasty with them.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 AM
2nd Gear member

Alright well as usual i havent posted anything on here for around a month.

Im already back overseas and got nothing done of the car, and i mean nothing. The closest i got to working on it was looking at it about three times while i was home.

The good news is the front big brake kit started showing up. The rotors showed up on my doorstep one morning. They sure are pretty to look at. The rotors are slotted, cross drilled and black. The problem is the rotors are the only items that came. Jegs says that the calipers and mounting assembly should be shipped in around ten days.

I also bought my rims and tires. Decided on 17" AR TTIIs like i said i was going to get. I got M/T ET Streets on the rear, i believe they are 315/30 and some kind of tire on the front i cant even remember what they are. The rims had to be built so they should be done in around 2 weeks from today. I bought them down in Idaho but they are going to ship them up to a place that is around a 3 hour drive from my town.

I have no pictures or anything fun to add to this post. I had such huge enthusiasm to get working on the car again but unfortunately never got around to it being it was summer time. My trip home also got cut short as work has to come first. I am going to be home on September 23rd. Hopefully shortley after that i can pick up my rims and tires. Once i get my rims and tires i will be able to install the brakes and actually still have a rolling chassis. Right now the back discs are on but no calipers because my 15" rims wont fit the wilwood brakes.

Its gonna be a long three weeks here thinking about working on the car, just like it was last time i was working. Hopefully i will get something done on the car next time home.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Overdrive Member

Funny my rears were custom with the same tire you are using. What size wheels? Mine are 17x11 rear the 5.75" BS is what made them custom. The fronts are off the shelf 17x8 with 4.8 BS. Ideally I wanted 4.75" but the extra .050" was not going to matter.

can't wait to see your progress.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's a bummer you couldn't get some progress on the car. I'm sure you're anxious to see it done, and I would be really distracted thinking about it, and going away to work! I spent a fair amount of time working on the road during my career, and the worst part was the time after the day's end when I had nothing to do. Sitting in a motel room, when I knew I'd rather be home working on a car was no fun at all!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear member

They told me that the rims had to be custom as well which is why the 6 week delay. I actually think i got the following rim/tire size

Front: 17x8" 5" Backspace 255/40R17
Rear: 17x11" 5.75" Backspace 315/35R17

But without my paperwork in front of me i wont know.

As for the working on the road thing, the positives of doing what i do and being gone for as long as i am sometimes, always outweighs the negatives. Summertime was really hard to get anything done but i was able to spend some quality time with my girlfriend and our family. Hopefully next time home i can get some stuff done, as its not really camping/boating season anymore and sledding doesnt start for a couple months yet.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear member

New question!

I think we are going to go with the BMR Tubular upper and lower control arms, that being said, is there any reason to replace the stock spindles on the front of my camaro? I DO NOT want to lower it any as the engine oil pan is already dangerously close to the road.

Please give me your thoughts, i am thinking that there should be no reason to get new ones.

Thanks

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build