CRU!NCH TIME - 73 Z28 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Learned something new today! Thanks! I wasn't aware the 4th gens had that set up to work that way. Sounds like a poor design to me.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Learned something new today! Thanks! I wasn't aware the 4th gens had that set up to work that way. Sounds like a poor design to me.
It was not as well thought out as it could have been. simple adjustments in design could have fixed alot, but its worth it for the power gains. but if the water pump blows the optispark ( distributor) is under it so you get to replace both, like this Optispark Replacement - DFW - Corvette Forum

not trying to hijack, just to add to your statements.

Im eagerly awaiting more pics of your build.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BudBrown
It was not as well thought out as it could have been. simple adjustments in design could have fixed alot, but its worth it for the power gains. but if the water pump blows the optispark ( distributor) is under it so you get to replace both, like this Optispark Replacement - DFW - Corvette Forum

not trying to hijack, just to add to your statements.

Im eagerly awaiting more pics of your build.
No thanks for your input. I glad to see that your interested in my project. I was starting to think no one was interested anymore lol.

So here is some pics of the suspension installed and the new opti-spark.

Name:  DSC01129.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  116.5 KB

here is a couple closer ones.

Name:  DSC01131.jpg
Size:  76.3 KB

a good shot of the coil over.

Name:  DSC01137.jpg
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  DSC01136.jpg
Size:  113.0 KB

here is the old opti I before I removed it. I forgot to take a pic of the water pump installed but You can see it's removed.

Name:  DSC01138.jpg
Size:  128.5 KB

I had a screw that was out just hanging out inside the distributor housing and the other one was loose. here it is screwed back in

Name:  DSC01141.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  67.3 KB

here is the new distributor installed. it's all black looks nicer that the OE one. not that it matter since you can't see it anyway once the pump is on. I would say that the cap, rotor, and water pump had been replaced recently. They still look new. The reason I had to replace the whole distributor is the optical sensor is bad. and they don't sell just the sensor.

Name:  DSC01143.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  91.1 KB

Water pump

Name:  DSC01139.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB

After I hooked up the wiring and turned the key I couldn't help but notice the mileage that is on the instrument cluster.

Name:  DSC01144.jpg
Size:  78.0 KB

I expected it to have a lot more. but Of course the mileage on the cluster means nothing since I just bought it off eBay from some wreaked Z28. I'm trying to decide what to set the mileage to. The mileage off the old cluster, the miles from the engine or zero. I have a Tech 2 and access to GM programming software website. So I think I'm just going to set the mileage back to zero when I get this thing back on the road. It will be like a new car why not start over? Well that's all for now till I can figure out how to get this video of it firing up, off my phone and on here.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Overdrive Member

Dude I'm always interested.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No joke your build has got me looking into 70-73 trans-ams to do something similar.

My wife's car will of course come first but... Its gonna happen...

Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Heck yeah we're interested!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by JmeZ28
Well that's all for now till I can figure out how to get this video of it firing up, off my phone and on here.
with a wire...

Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

yea man i think there were a lot more people interested in this build then you thought. i love the newer style gauge cluster in the old car. but i did notice you have a service engine light on, i'm thinking maybe you just need an oil change and it'll go away.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

sweet it's good to know I'm not doing this just for me to look at LOL. Half the fun of building a car is knowing that other people are seeing and take interest in what your doing. Not to mention getting any help when an issue comes around. Once the GF goes back to school I'll have more time to put in some work on the car and I'll let the updates flow.

Originally Posted by mr.blue
yea man i think there were a lot more people interested in this build then you thought. i love the newer style gauge cluster in the old car. but i did notice you have a service engine light on, i'm thinking maybe you just need an oil change and it'll go away.
I know right, but yeahh got love that cars now days have to tell us when to change the oil lol. However I haven't even checked to see if there is any codes stored, I'm sure there is a bunch I know atleast three. VATS code, oil pressure sending unit is busted and fuel sending unit not hooked up yet.

Well thanks for reading I look forward to your guys post and progress.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Overdrive Member

I see your thread as motivation to work on my pile. I have neglected it for at least a month now. I could give excuses but there just excuses, know what I mean?

Quick Reply: CRU!NCH TIME - 73 Z28 Build