79 z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Default 79 z28

Hello,

How goes it today? I just wanted to say hi and see what was going on I'm new to the site but not new to my love of Chevy muscle. I have a 1979 Z28 that i have been working on for a few years now. Its got a lot of modifications to it, but i still find myself looking for more power as always. Unfortunately though money seems to limit my projects outcome. So as I said i just wanted to introduce myself and say hi hope to have some good conversations with you all, and be able to pick your brains while also helping out wherever I can.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome gearhead. Always nice to have another second gen owner with us. What have you done to your car so far?

Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Hello gearhead, welcome as well. people will help you on this forum.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

welcome here,this is an awesome site.we will help you any way we can,what kind of modifacations have you done so far,would love to see some pictures of your camaro.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the site! Hope to see your pictures, and reports on the Camaro build!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Hey guys how goes it today? Well the list is a little long for what I've done to the car already but here it goes. It is a 1979 z28 brown color for now, it has t-tops, and is a 4-speed manual with a 350 in it. I have torn out all the emission junk so it cant add weight along with robbing power. The A/C unit is also history i needed the wall for mounting the fun stuff on. I rebuilt the differential with thicker axles, a auburn limited slip posi unit, and changed the gears to 342's so i could drive it and not pay so much at the pumps for now. I want to put the 373's back in after i get the new tranny. It has a girdle on the 10 point. I have hooker competition headers on it going into a H-pipe for the true duals I'm running with a 2.5 inch exhaust, and a pair of 40 series flowmasters for that wonderful rumble they give off. It has a Comp cam in it with about a 486 lift i believe if i remember correctly, and a duration of truthfully i dont remember i think its around 260. New comp lifters and valve springs to finish it off. Replaced the whole cooling system and upgraded it to a 4 core radiator so it wouldn't over heat. It has a Edelbrock rpm air gap intake with Holley 670cc street avenger carb and a K&N X-stream air cleaner assembly on it. Also has a MSD 5AL ignition box, high output spark coil, and a MSD distributor on it now with 8MM taylor wires going to the plugs. I put a auto meter tach on the dash, and then also switch all the linkages and shifter over to the Hurst set-up on the floor. Then for the final touch I Put a set of 15" Kragar rims on her with Mickey Thompson's on them running 215's in the front and 250's in the back. She also now has a 2" collin induction hood on her now to clear the air cleaner assembly. So it looks nice and she has some scoot to her, but of course she needs more. Unfortunately that whole money thing make it hard to go in and stroke the motor like i want to now anyway. So that will wait for another time. This year I'm going to put traction bars on her, and replace the last few Motor mounts i have left to get to with some nice polyurethane bushings and mounts to help stiffen it all up. Oh i also put on new Monroe shocks in the front and air shocks in the back. I will get some pics of it later for you guys but my computer is having a issue with finding them again it seems.