1981 Camaro Replacement brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Default 1981 Camaro Replacement brake lines

Bought myself a project a while ago, figured I'd start a build thread. I'll try to post as much as I can as often as I can, it's gonna be a slow build for me so bear with me... Realized I gave this thread a bad title, though.

Hoping someone can shed some light on a little issue I'm having when it comes to replacement brake line sets. I recently purchased an '81 Camaro as my first project car for cheap from a guy who needed to get rid of it. It needs some work to make it drivable, but everything is working. The previous owner removed all the old brake lines and master cylinder and purchased new M/C, proportioning valve, rear wheel cylinders, rear drums/shoes/hardware and front calipers. He told me he just needed to order a replacement brake line set from any of the several brake line companies online and it would be all good.

So I ordered one set off of Summit (I think it was Classic Tube if I remember correctly) and everything fit fine. Except for the two hard lines leading from the M/C to proportioning valve. I didn't make much of a big deal out of it since it was just two short lines, so I tried flaring/bending them myself with new 3/16 lines from a parts store and the right tools. That didn't work out too well after many tries, and I finally decided to give up and order another kit.

I came across another set (since I just needed the front lines, I didn't want to order a whole new set) on Camaro Central which sold what I needed. I received the lines and had the same issue, the two lines weren't long enough to go from the M/C to the Prop. Valve.

Both companies state that they reproduce the brake lines to OEM specifications and fitment, and the picture they post of the set looks exactly like what I would need, so did the previous owner switch something up? I searched some M/C for my car on Google images to see what they originally looked like, and some look different than what I have in my car. Anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do to be able to drive my car already?
__________________________________________________ __________

The second set of lines I had ordered, they are nowhere near where they need to be:
3 - 1654855

4 - 1654856

The brake lines I think I need for my car:
5 - 1654857

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

I realize this is moot at this point but it probably would've been easier/cheaper to get a different MC-to-prop valve mounting bracket than buying/flaring all those different lines. I'm no expert on the brake component fitment but I wanted to mention to you that I believe I have those MC lines that are like the pic of what you think that you need. They're brand new from a set that I bought last fall and I don't need them. They're yours if you would like them?

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 02-12-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Is that the master, prop valve, you have now in the pictures? It looks like your prop valve is mounted 90 degrees to what I would expect to see. The lines and mounting appear to be for a forward mounted prop valve.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 02-12-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

I also believe something is not quiet right with the way the proportionate valve is mounted.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I realize this is moot at this point but it probably would've been easier/cheaper to get a different MC-to-prop valve mounting bracket than buying/flaring all those different lines. I'm no expert on the brake component fitment but I wanted to mention to you that I believe I have those MC lines that are like the pic of what you think that you need. They're brand new from a set that I bought last fall and I don't need them. They're yours if you would like them?
Typical me, always doing things the hard way and completely miss the more obvious easy way. But yeah, I'll definitely be interested. How much are you trying to get for them?

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Is that the master, prop valve, you have now in the pictures? It looks like your prop valve is mounted 90 degrees to what I would expect to see. The lines and mounting appear to be for a forward mounted prop valve.
Originally Posted by Edwardgp
I also believe something is not quiet right with the way the proportionate valve is mounted.

Yeah, that's how it's currently set up. Hopefully the previous owner mounted it wrong and I'm just dealing with a small problem. I'll try to mount it other ways, only thing is that the other lines fit fine how it's set up now, but I'll check it out. And I've seen some forward mounted prop valves, but figured a few cars were set up differently from certain years.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

Trust me when I say that I can relate to the statement about doing things the more difficult way also. I'm not interested in selling these to you, I would have to assume you've spent enough money on lines already as it is. I'd just need a destination to mail them to if you want to pm me, they're yours. They're the same ones that are in the pic of the brake line kit you posted, probably the same kit as the pic actually. Hope they will end up being what you need to get you going.... or stopping.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Congrats on your purchase

I also picked up an 81 camaro as a project from some one who wanted it gone.

If you want I can take a pic of my brake lines if that would help. as far as i know mine are all stock.

also it might be easier to just buy some braided stainless lines.. http://www.jegs.com/i/Aerospace-Comp...oductId=956507

Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by AKleprecon

If you want I can take a pic of my brake lines if that would help. as far as i know mine are all stock.

also it might be easier to just buy some braided stainless lines.. Aerospace Components AC-4100-C Aerospace Components Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line Kits - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
If you look at this picture of ALleprecon's engine bay, you'll notice which way his 81's master and prop valve are oriented. I think the reason your lines don't work are the way the prop valve is oriented. Making it match his picture will probably make it all fit, and reworking the longer lines out of the prop valve is easier than reworking the two short lines to the master.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i thought about putting in that pic but i felt like it wasn't close up enough.

i did notice something comparing the pics though.. my car has different manifolds and my dipstick goes under my drivers side manifold.. i wonder what that means..

Here's a better pic

Last edited by AKleprecon; 02-14-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Trust me when I say that I can relate to the statement about doing things the more difficult way also. I'm not interested in selling these to you, I would have to assume you've spent enough money on lines already as it is. I'd just need a destination to mail them to if you want to pm me, they're yours. They're the same ones that are in the pic of the brake line kit you posted, probably the same kit as the pic actually. Hope they will end up being what you need to get you going.... or stopping.
Thanks a lot! I'd really appreciate that, didn't expect to get this kind of help from a forum I'll send you my address in a PM.

Originally Posted by AKleprecon

also it might be easier to just buy some braided stainless lines.. Aerospace Components AC-4100-C Aerospace Components Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line Kits - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
Sweet! Coming across a good amount of people that have 81 Camaros as project cars, either on the internet or in person lol Starting to feel like this project is gonna be a real fun and easy one.

I was looking into running some braided SS lines in some parts of my brake system, but I had read some people say not too because it gives a spongy feel in the brake pedal. But I am willing to give it a try. If the lines 78 on my plate gives me don't work out, I'll try that.

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
If you look at this picture of ALleprecon's engine bay, you'll notice which way his 81's master and prop valve are oriented. I think the reason your lines don't work are the way the prop valve is oriented. Making it match his picture will probably make it all fit, and reworking the longer lines out of the prop valve is easier than reworking the two short lines to the master.
I am definitely seeing a difference between my set up and the set up you have on the picture. I came across an original prop valve from a friend that had an 80 or 81 Firebird, (possibly the same thing?) I'm gonna try and reroute some of the longer lines like you mentioned.

Quick Reply: 1981 Camaro Replacement brake lines