1980 Z28 project thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:17 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah that rotisserie was just an example, it would have to be way longer. Maybe even with tubing on the sides?

I cant wait to start doing some welding though, maybe i'll end up doing the floors myself instead of waiting on someone else (need some practice first).
Maybe ill go today and see what i can do with it, see if i can be constructive

Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

you should try padding (welding flat beads on spare peices of metal) and practice your joints and then once you get that down its pretty much a walk in the park good luck

Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If I were you I'd drop by some body shops and ask if they have an old fender or something they would give you. They are usually great about such things and you can learn to weld on that first. Just cut a section off the old piece, then try tacking it back on. That's pretty much what I did.
I welded some beads on metal, and welded some heavier steel scrap together, but none of that will teach you to weld sheetmetal, and it's easy to screw it up if you don't practice. On the other hand it's not that hard to fix a blow out once you've got some skills developed.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
If I were you I'd drop by some body shops and ask if they have an old fender or something they would give you. They are usually great about such things and you can learn to weld on that first. Just cut a section off the old piece, then try tacking it back on. That's pretty much what I did.
I welded some beads on metal, and welded some heavier steel scrap together, but none of that will teach you to weld sheetmetal, and it's easy to screw it up if you don't practice. On the other hand it's not that hard to fix a blow out once you've got some skills developed.
That is a great idea. Once the welder ends up at my house I may just have to do that and learn on my own. I think that knowing how to weld is a great bargaining skill. Being able to do some of the basic things could save your rear in a money pinch.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

when you do sheet mettal i like to turn my welder way down and tack around the piece at the joint so it dont get to hot and warp but to make sure that all of your welds are bonded to one another they said something about it on power block the other day oh and by the way tig weldin is the best way to do sheet metal work because there is very litte clean up (Grinding and wire brushing) and plus in my experience they are the stromgest welds because they get the best penitration deeper in the metal and its harder to burn through but its very hard to get used to and veeeeeery frustrating at first but ounce you get used to it youll love it oh and by the way be sure to wire brush the area your welding and they area were you place your place your ground. it will help the arc travel through the metal and you will get better penitration a better looking and an overall better stronger weld good luck it is a skill that you can never forget and never regret and plus it can make you a lot of money on just side work like building fixing stuff for people like my welding teacher told me that after i graduate he will get me in a union like last year a dude got into one and now hes buildin an oil rig off the coast of china and he works for 2 weeks out of the year and makes 250000 a year so ya good luck

Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well i went to the garage earlier and tried to do some sort of welding but i couldnt get anything to stick together lol, i tried all sorts of stuff and nothing. everything was working proper, maybe its the wire im using? i talked to my brother over the phone and he said it might be the line but the beads are sticking to the metal (just not to each other).

Then once i stoped messin with the welder i tried some bodywork myself, i dont think i did that bad. I know how to do drywall, i did parging for a season and i did some bodywork on my motorbike before (i was 16 and it was bad lol), so i figured whatever i'll try it out, whats the worst that happens, i have to sand it? oh well. but we'll see tomorrow cause i didnt have any time to stay and wait for it to dry.

but that sucks about the welder, what kind of wire should i get? or what am i doing wrong?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Man you can get a bunch of good stuff off that link,.i also checked it and love the hard to find stuff on there. The Camaro you are restoring (1980 Z-28),.doing a good job on it,.keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming

Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 PM

Well for the welding make sure your metal is clean and when it is put welding primer on it,.helps out some what. Spot weld it first with some good heat(try on a old panel or piece that is the same gauge as your car),you will find the best setting then just do spot welding to keep from warping you panels to much,.keep wet rag beside you as well. The is a new way as well,.it is glue that you over lap your panel 1/2 inch and taper it and then you glue it,..3500 psi and stronger than welding they say. I have tried it on a van roof a few years back and to the day it is nothing wrong with it. When i was working for someone else we did a pull test on it as well and it took 2 1/2 ton pull before it broke. I am partial to the welding only cause i never did much of the glueing thing,..but they say it is stronger,..i am old school though haha. Just some info for you,.good luck and keep on building the car,...looks good!!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

well to get your welds to stick to both peices you have to weave back and forth like a zig-zag or make little circles but make sure your part is clean

Old 04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DennySkolny
The Camaro you are restoring (1980 Z-28),.doing a good job on it,.keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming
Originally Posted by DennySkolny
Well for the welding make sure your metal is clean and when it is put welding primer on it,.helps out some what. Spot weld it first with some good heat(try on a old panel or piece that is the same gauge as your car),you will find the best setting then just do spot welding to keep from warping you panels to much,.keep wet rag beside you as well. The is a new way as well,.it is glue that you over lap your panel 1/2 inch and taper it and then you glue it,..3500 psi and stronger than welding they say. I have tried it on a van roof a few years back and to the day it is nothing wrong with it. When i was working for someone else we did a pull test on it as well and it took 2 1/2 ton pull before it broke. I am partial to the welding only cause i never did much of the glueing thing,..but they say it is stronger,..i am old school though haha. Just some info for you,.good luck and keep on building the car,...looks good!!
Thanks for the nice comments and the suggestions, welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: 1980 Z28 project thread