1979 Proj/ Overhaul Questions

Old 09-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Default 1979 Proj/ Overhaul Questions

ook.. soo this is my first real project car. and keep in mind i know it might take me a while, and money is NOT A PROBLEM. i will be doing some changes to the car, and i needed some questions answered.. soo here we go.

already have car broken down to bare cab (getting rdy for body work) already ordered fenders / trunk / cowl hood /inner fenders / core support.
missing front / back bumper, fender extensions, and floor pans (yes.. it has rusted through floor pans, not too bad, but will need to be redone)

i already purchased a junkyard 454 engine, which does run.. but i will be rebuilding complete motor for performance. i plan on putting a procharger on it as well.. sooo my questions for the MOTOR part is what kind of pistons will i need to get if i end up putting a procharger, i hear i will need domed pistons for lower cr, since the procharger will boost up the compression.. i also know i will need basically complete bottom end forged, i do plan on doin that, as well as getting maybe afr alumin. heads, i need help figuring out what kind of parts and such to make it pump gas, and i also LOOVE the way bigger cams sound, so i sorta wanna know what size would be a decent size to get that thump but still be decent for a weekend driver (i do want to make this beast roar.)
also what kind of suspension will i need to upgrade to since the 454 will be replacing the stock 350.

as well, i plan on getting some very loud and nice sounding exhaust, so i was wondering if there are exhaust systems/headers that would fit the 79 camaro but into a 454 engine?

im still missing a tranny too.. i plan on making it into a Standard.. so another question i had is, the clutch pedal, is there a kit i can purcahse to convert it? if so what would it be called or located under?

feel free to ask any questions

Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Trelex03
ook.. soo this is my first real project car. and keep in mind i know it might take me a while, and money is NOT A PROBLEM. i will be doing some changes to the car, and i needed some questions answered.. soo here we go.

already have car broken down to bare cab (getting rdy for body work) already ordered fenders / trunk / cowl hood /inner fenders / core support.
missing front / back bumper, fender extensions, and floor pans (yes.. it has rusted through floor pans, not too bad, but will need to be redone)

i already purchased a junkyard 454 engine, which does run.. but i will be rebuilding complete motor for performance. i plan on putting a procharger on it as well.. sooo my questions for the MOTOR part is what kind of pistons will i need to get if i end up putting a procharger, i hear i will need domed pistons for lower cr, since the procharger will boost up the compression.. i also know i will need basically complete bottom end forged, i do plan on doin that, as well as getting maybe afr alumin. heads, i need help figuring out what kind of parts and such to make it pump gas, and i also LOOVE the way bigger cams sound, so i sorta wanna know what size would be a decent size to get that thump but still be decent for a weekend driver (i do want to make this beast roar.)
also what kind of suspension will i need to upgrade to since the 454 will be replacing the stock 350.

as well, i plan on getting some very loud and nice sounding exhaust, so i was wondering if there are exhaust systems/headers that would fit the 79 camaro but into a 454 engine?

im still missing a tranny too.. i plan on making it into a Standard.. so another question i had is, the clutch pedal, is there a kit i can purcahse to convert it? if so what would it be called or located under?

feel free to ask any questions

If you're going to have the engine built, then domed pistons are most likely going the wrong direction for a procharger and pump gas. Domed pistons usually raise the compression, and you'll want to keep it down around 8:1-8.5:1 for a procharger to work on pump gas. What piston you use will depend on what heads you use also, so your engine builder will need to take all that into consideration when he starts the build. Can't tell you for sure until you've chosen the head type, and know the combustion chamber size.
I'd not only go forged lower end, but I'd go with a 4 bolt main assembly also. Either find a truck engine that's already 4 bolt main, or have yours converted to 4 bolt mains.
Same for the camshaft. No way to say until you know the rest of the engine. And which trans, and rearend gears, will also affect what cam you choose. Of course you can build the engine, and once built determine what rear gear ratio works best. If you're going manual trans, you'll either want a good strong 4 speed, or one of the stronger version 5 speeds. A stock 4 speed, or 5 speed wont last long behind a very high HP BBC.
Factory clutch/brake pedal assemblies are easily found, and Ebay has a lot of them for reasonable prices. You'll also need the pieces that go under the hood to make up the Z bar, and rods that complete the manual trans swap. But be sure what trans you're using first. Whatever you choose, the clutch/pedal will be the factory setup, but if you choose a trans that uses a hydraulic operator, then the Z bar and linkage wont be used. So wait until you know to buy all the parts.
Regardless of what engine you used, the exhaust system wont care much. All performance engines will usually have headers, and the collectors sit in a similar location. SO the only real difference will be collector size, and exhaust tubing size. You can buy all sorts of kits, or have your local exhaust shop build a system once the engine and headers are in.
Loud is relative, and each person's idea of loud is different. Flowmaster 40's have a reputation for being loud, but might be too loud depending on your ideas? I have them on my .040" over 454, and hate them. My buddy 6 houses down the street told me the other day that when I fired up my car he thought I was in front of his house. Way too loud for me, and I'm taking them off soon.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:43 PM
4th Gear Member

? BBC or sbc ,if money was no problem why not buy a remaned 454 there fairly cheap engines in the BBc world ,1971BBC 427 i hear the same thing about my 406 ,post pictures ,what kinda hp you looking to make ,some 383sbc will make the kinda hp that some BB dont get the power needed to make big hp ,,i guess what i meen is would i rather have 383 sbc makeing 500hp at the wheels ,or a BBC 454 makeing the same hp ,i guess an idea ,good luck with your build these guys are good ,an the guy above knows alot more then i could think about knowing ,i love the 2 gens an 4 gens the most,i have had few friends regret BBc 454 becouse of weight in the front end ,an lack of hp over a small blocks makeing the same an much lighter ,just some thoughts realy smal blockes couse i can see what size anywhere so far ,i guess i would not want less then 700hp with big block ,when sbc are makeing 500+ unless you building a nascar engine ,just an opion

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-30-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:33 PM

A set of aluminum heads and the big block really isn't much heavier than a stock small block. 50 lbs or so. A 383 isnt going to make the power or more importantly the torque of a stroked big block.No need for the supercharger if you cannot put the power of a N/A stroked big block to the ground. The cast crank will handle upwards of 700 HP just fine as long as you don't go twisting it over 6500 . Flat top pistons will give you 8:1 compression which is good for a supercharged engine but IMHO too low for an N/A engine. This is the golden age of good rods and a set of H beams with good bolts wont be more than $400 a set.

The front suspension will work fine. The rear you'll need to at least mini tub for larger tires and bare minimum traction bars or better yet sub-frame connectors and ladder bars or a 4 link getting back to the fact that you dont need a supercharger until you can drive the N/A big block and put the power to the ground. Putting 700 HP with a 454 to 496 with even oval port 265 AFR's and 10.5:1 compression and a healthy hydraulic roller will pull the front end and put you in the mid 10's IF you have built the chassis and drivetrain to handle it..

Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
4th Gear Member

thread is pretty old the guy was probley just talking crap, or things changed in there life an had only 2 posts in all this time

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Oh yeah. Forgot to look at the dates. Not much traffic over here.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:59 AM
4th Gear Member
Thumbs up

it happens to us all now an then ,mostly early on