1973 Z28 project rusty gold.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have to cut very much to get the frame under it you should cross brace the body first! Once there's much gone in the floors the body will tweak, and then you'll play heck getting doors and deck lid to fit.
A simple piece of old scrap pipe or angle iron across both door opening s to hold them square will work until it's attached permanently to the new frame.
The frame/subframe looks pretty good from what I can tell in your pics.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Here is a link of a tube chassis car being built. I thought you may like to see how the pros do it. 70 Z28

Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah the frame looks okay, I got 4 cans of walmart spray paint let them sit in the house so they would stay warm then went out to paint it all black and the crap things wouldn't spray it was just clear looking crap idk if they got to warm since I had them next to the heater vent or what. But as for the body tweaking I think it should be fine since I don't have much cut out and i'm not going to hoist the body I think I'll just jack it up and set jack stands under 4 corners as far out as I can and roll the frame under/ drag.
And damon all you did was depress me that car looks bad ***!! but then again there's probably ten grand just in the frame fab work. but thanks for the pics I enjoyed em.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Overdrive Member

I learn a bunch by looking at other peolpes work. Didn't want to depress you. The company building the car is the shop that used to fab the SFCs for Protouringf-body. The are said to have one of the nicest fitting roll cages on the market. Look at DSEs site for more.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear member

Well Haven't gotten anything new done to the camaro it's been between 3 and 11 degrees so I've been waiting on mounting the body.
I did get the new water pump and belt on the 240sx I got for my GF I have one more belt and some hood pins to put on it then that will be done for the moment.
It's in the 20's I think today so I'm gonna try to get the body on after school or at least get it ready to put on.
Were supposed to have people start looking at the house so I'm working with between one and two months for a deadline before I'll have to storage the car for awhile but on the bright side I checked prices on some motors at like the only good salvage yard around they had 5.3s with around 120,000 miles for around $350 didn't have any ls1's except for a corvette one for 13 grand with 60,000 on it which makes no sense when those crate ls7's are about that much new, I haven't checked much cause their site sucks so I think I'll make a list of what all I'm looking for and then just call and see what the word is maybe I can even get a package deal for an engine and tranny.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't let that high end stuff get you down! There's good info there, even if you don't take your's to that level. I love looking at show quality stuff, but I don't want one that nice, or I'd be afraid to drive it. There's always a way to get a similar look without fudging on safety, and not spend so much hard earned money. I think you're headed that way with the frame setup you found. Just keep focused on what you're doing and forge ahead.
I'd be looking at Craigslist for engine/tranny combos. With the economy what it is, people might be parting out their projects and have a SBC and tranny combo cheap. Just make sure whatever you buy is running, so you can at least hear it, and possibly drive it before pulling the engine/trans.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

I check craigslist everyday (literally) theres never more then one good deal or something I'm interested in a 3 month period it sucks where I live but if i wanted a sbc I'd have kept my numbers matching 350/muncie I want LS tech, power, and fuel economy and for the dirt cheap prices of those 5.3s with a 90 day warranty it's hard to beat I'll just try to find something with under a 100,000 on it or get a dirt cheap one for $300 like the ones I saw and spend some dough to build her up. As for a tranny idk yet if the prices are to outragious for used I'll just wait awhile longer and get a new one.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright I got the frame in position under the car and some more of the floor cut to fit I think all I should have left to fit the body is the pan supports for clearance but I'll get to that tomorrow or saturday and I'll get the body sat on the frame.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Good luck! Hope it works out well!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Overdrive Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

Quick Reply: 1973 Z28 project rusty gold.