ZZ502

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 AM
Default ZZ502

Aloha! I know someone out there has put one of these in. It's for a 69 RS/SS that originaly had a 350. Previous owner (not the brightest bulb) dumped it for a 2 barrel '72 engine and also removed the AC. I've looked for an old numbers block to make it right, but have given up. On to a big block! My question is does the ZZ502 fit under my SS hood? Everybody has the cowl hood, but I would like to keep it traditional on the outside. Will it clear my power steering booster? I know that the mounts need to change and the motor will lean slightly to one side. I was going to redo the springs anyway (along with new tubular A-arms). Thinking about going to rack and pinion steering. Will keep the existing disk brakes in front and 12 bolt with drums in the back. Before I order this beast, I'd like to hear from someone who's done it. Probably will have to go with aftermarket AC. Any recommendations? I still have stock AC controler.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ZZ502

My question is does the ZZ502 fit under my SS hood?
Yes. If you use a factory low rise intake and no carb spacers. I did it in my 68.

Will it clear my power steering booster?
I think you mean Power Brake Booster. Yes, if you get the power brake booster valve cover for the left side of the engine. Then have fun trying to shoehorn the headers in.(if you're going to use headers)

I know that the mounts need to change and the motor will lean slightly to one side.
The motor won't lean per se, but it will be offset about 2" to the right of centerline. It's an easy transition. Chevy made the cars with BB and all they parts are there. Bolt in the BB frame mounts and drop the engine in.

Probably will have to go with aftermarket AC. Any recommendations? I still have stock AC controler.
Go with aftermarket. It will be cheaper and I believe they will still be able to hook the modern stuff up to the original controls.

RM

Old 11-02-2006, 05:05 PM

RatMotor- Thanks for the help! Great to hear that it worked on your 68. What kind of tranny are you running?
You mentioned a low rise intake; is that the one that came with the motor or did you need to replace it?
I was hoping to keep the 502 valve covers, guess I'll make it look like a 396.
No to headers. Will go with cast exhaust manifolds and Stainless Steel pipes with a stock style cross-over muffler. We have State inspectors for vehilcle modification (headers, rims, etc.) and this way I can claim it's stock (at least from the outside). One less level of goverment to deal with and I think I will have plenty of power.
Blotto

Old 11-02-2006, 06:15 PM
May 2007 ROTM

It should fit fine with the 502 valve covers,I have a 74 with a ZZ454 and it fits fine,But the heigh rise manifold has been replaced with the old cast iron manifold until i get the cowl hood. It has Moroso Tall chrome valve covers on it instead of the Gm 454, and it clears the booster just fine. I'm not sure but the 68 should have alot more room for a rat,as the 74 didn't come with a Big Block option.