window handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:15 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default window handle

hey i have an 81 camaro and the passengers window handle has been off since i got it. it wont stay on and keeps falling off. do i need to get a crank spring, clip and gasket to reattach it? and how would i do that?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: window handle

does anybody know?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the gasket is just a plastic piece to protect your door panel, you should get one if you value your interior much. It also works with the spring to keep tension between the handle and door panel to keep things from vibrating. You need the metal clip, looks kinda like a greek omega symbol with the open ends bent in a little more. you slide this all the way into the grooves on the back of your handle, slide the gasket and spring over the shaft, then line up the splines on the handle to the shaft, push straight in on center of the handle till it clicks, and you're done. These parts are usually in the Help! section of most auto parts stores, pretty standard replacements.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

so i put them on the back of the handle in this order: clip then gasket then spring?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok i have the supplies but i tried to put the metal clip in the handle but i dont see how..i dont see how its supposed to fit in the metal grooves on the handle

Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

sorry, was going to post a pic, but i found my window cranks and couldn't find my clips right away. Easiest way is to slide the spring then gasket over the shaft, then comes the handle. The clip usually will not stay in the grooves very tight, the open end just slides into the grooves. those little ends that fit closest in the groove just hang out in there till you clip it on the shaft.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A picture is worth a jillion words. With the spring clip on the crank, put the gasket/washer (if you have one) on the crank next, with the indentation facing the right way. Hold the crank and gasket together while sliding it on the regulator shaft, and push it in till it clicks in place. "Dry-fitting" it all before you put the clip on the crank will help you to see how it all fits, and to know you have the crank **** where you want it to be in both the up and down positions.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

great pic, that's what i wanted to show, but couldn't find a clip, and it's hard to describe with just words!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

shouldn't the washer go first on the shaft so it protects the interior..if it goes on after the spring then how would that protect the interior?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The clip goes on first, then the washer. That way the washer will be between the clip and door panel to protect it. And the indentation of the washer goes "in" against the door panel. How you see it in the pic is how it goes on the door, but it's easier to line it all up if you hold the washer on the crank. Trial-fit it, it'll make sense then.

Quick Reply: window handle