What would you guys (and gals) do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default What would you guys (and gals) do?

So I was going to do an entire top end swap with new Dart heads, custom valvetrain and Comp roller cam. Had all of it ready and when I pulled the the old cam two of my lobes were almost gone and the front cam bearing had a small nick in it. So I decided to pull the engine, tear it down and take it to the shop to have new cam bearings installed. The cylinder bores are still standard and never been touched but they're getting a slight ring landing near the top. Plus, on the number 7 piston the top ring broke in half. I'm thinking of a number of options.

1> Just do the cam bearings for now. Buy a new bare block and stroke it if I go 383 or buy a Dart SHP or Bowtie block and build a nice 400 from that over time.

2> Just punch it .030 over and get new pistons. Keep the forged 1182 350 crank that came with it that is still in great shape.

3> Sell the 1182 forged crank, the stock pistons (if anyone will buy them) turn the money around and buy a 383 crank. Sell my nitrous system and put that into the new pistons. Use my old stock 5.7 pink rods for the setup.

I'll be doing the clearance for the 383 myself. I have no problem with that. I'll just have the machine shop punch the bores, install the cam bearings and possibly deck the block.

My main problem is that this is a numbers matching car. I have the transmission and block which are both numbers matching. The transmission is in storage and part of it that's killing me is getting rid of the stock stuff (crank mainly) and altering the engine block.

What would you guys do? I've been trying to keep an eye out for a bare 4 bolt 350 block for the cheap but nothing has come up.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't be concerned about modifying a matching number block internally. Every block wears out enough to eventually need boring and new pistons, and I've never heard anyone yet be so picky as to not want a good running engine over a tired engine that still has the original pistons. Lots of numbers matching Camaros with cranks turned 10/10 and .030 over pistons.
If you want a fairly stock engine, then I'd just do the minimum it needs to run good and not burn oil. Then I'd spring for either a crate motor, or another block like you're presently looking for, and go the full route on either.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I had that 400 block but it had cracks in the lifter valley, steamholes, etc. so I ended up not going that route. I picked my current cam and had the heads built for that cam. It will work on a 350 quite well but a 383 or a 400 even better. I mean I have around 3k in the head and cam setup and my funds are getting tapped pretty hard. I sold off the other stuff form the 400 such as pistons, rods and crank. I had planned on going internal balance with 6 inch rods and pistons on the 400 and that's why I sold them. If I had known I was going to be in this situation down the road a little I would have kept them and used those to convert to the 383 and just been external balance. I guess "hindsight is 20/20" though.

Last edited by kyphur; 03-20-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Time to do a little wheelin/dealin to generate some car funds! Sure hope you can find something worthwhile without breaking the bank!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Time to do a little wheelin/dealin to generate some car funds! Sure hope you can find something worthwhile without breaking the bank!
I know, I'm going through all my old stuff and looking to see what I can sell. This weather is perfect for driving and I'm ready to get out and enjoy it.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You guys getting good weather now too huh? It was high 60's here today! Just a wonderful day to cruise in!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, 76 today and perfect. It was a good day to work but I would have rather been cruising. Saw a lot of old hot rods, motorcycles and cruisers out today when I ran some errands.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

It sounds like you were going to get a little "radical" with the motor anyway. Just my 2 cents, but if it's done well, nobody "in their right mind" is going to give you any crap for building a monster motor out of a stock, numbers matching engine...That's the best of both worlds in my opinion, numbers matching big horsepower car???
I'm new to the forum, and will probably offend some with my thoughts, but this just sounds like opportunity knocking.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't think anyone will get up in your grill here about your opinion. That's the reason I asked on here and not a couple of other forums I visit. Everyone on here is pretty laid back even when there are disagreements.

I also agree with you a lot but there is a small part of me that is at odds. I just thought I would ask for other's opinions on here and see what the feedback was.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Overdrive Member

I would build the 383, maily because of the heads and cam. There is no sense in buying another cam the can cope better with the small displacement. If the heads are too big your going to have a lazy 350 anyhow. If your worried about the block look around for another one or even a beater Caprice or ratty old pickup that you can pull the motor out of. I gave about $850 for my rotating assembly. Scat 9000 cast crank, Scat forged rods 7/16 cap screws (6in), and Keith Black hyperutectics. Are you going to still have the car in 30 years when someone will care about a numbers matching 74,I'm not knockin your ride. I love them all. But their not exactly the most disirerable Camaros. If your heads are 195cc or smaller and your cam isn't overkill then build the 350 with your crank. Unless your rods have good bolts in them already I would pick up a set of cheap ones from Eagle or Scat. Maybe 200 bucks or so. Its just good insurance.

Last edited by 77nomad; 03-22-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: What would you guys (and gals) do?