What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default What would you do?

So I picked up a nice posi full rear end that's in GREAT shape internally but it's a 3.23 gear. I have a 3.42 gear set sitting on the shelves and a rebuild kit so if I wanted to change over to a 3.42 with it I could. I'm already going to have some downtime since I'm going to sandblast the exterior and rust proof it.

My question is, would you go ahead and move up to the 3.42's or just stay with the 3.23's and not worry about converting over and going through the hassle of the rebuilding?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: What would you do?

Depends on what is more important to you.
Do you drive more on the highway or in the city,drag race or just drive,prefer gas mileage or power?

The higher geared 3.23s will be better on the highway and get better gas mileage but will not make as much power off the line.
Unless you really want more off the line power I wouldn't bother and even if you did it's not a huge difference in gearing so don't expect a lot of difference like going to a set of 4.10s or even 3.73s.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would go for the 3.42 set. That is a great ratio for the street. You will get a bit more stoplight to stoplight performance without sacrificing too much mileage.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's mainly what I was wondering. I've never had a car this heavy with anything lower than 3.42's. Would a 3.23 gear be anything noticeable from the 3.42's unless I go to the track and see it on the board?

When I bought the car a year ago I basically just rebuilt the engine from scratch with a total tear down. I knew the car's owner before me had said that he was trying to make it into a race car but I didn't realize he was talking circle track. The rear end in it now is a 2.56 open carrier and at around 2500 RPM's I'm doing around 75 - 85 mph. It's great for the top end but very impracticable for me to just be entering my power band at that type of speed.

I do a mix of both highway (to and from work) and a street (to and from the parts store ).

I kind of want to go with the 3.42's just to get it done with and while it's out of the car so it's an easier job. Then it's said and done and I don't have to worry about "what if's". Then on the other hand it's an already assembled rear end in great condition that I don't need to do anything to.